This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.919 / 50°55'8"N
Longitude: -2.0702 / 2°4'12"W
OS Eastings: 395158
OS Northings: 113283
OS Grid: ST951132
Mapcode National: GBR 304.CDP
Mapcode Global: FRA 66KP.194
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 14 July 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324295
English Heritage Legacy ID: 103630
Location: Chettle, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Chettle
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Chettle St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 9513 CHETTLE VILLAGE
8/2 Church of St Mary
Parish church, early C16 west tower, remainder 1849. Banded flint and ashlar
with tiled roofs having end stone copings. Plan: nave, chancel, north vestry,
south organ chamber and west tower. The west tower is in the Perpendicular
style and the C19 work is partly in the Decorated and partly in the Perpendicular
style. West tower: 2-stages separated by weathered strings; embattled parapet;
weathered buttresses, diagonal to the west and square set to the east; belfry
windows of 2 lights under 4-central heads. Nave and chancel windows of one and
2 lights under square heads. East chancel window of 3 lights with Perpendicular
tracery under pointed head with label having carved stops. Vestry and organ
chamber windows of 2 lights with curvilinear tracery under pointed heads with
labels having carved stops. West doorway with 4-centred head of 2 chamfered
orders. Above is a 3-light, 3-centred window with Perpendicular tracery.
Interior: moulded, pointed tower arch; pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered
orders; C19 arch-braced scissor-truss nave roof springing from carved head corbels;
chancel, vestry and organ chamber have collar-truss roofs with ashlar pieces;
C19 rectangular stone pulpit with blind tracery; C19, traceried vestry screen;
C19 pews with fluted ends; C19 octagonal font; C19 encaustic tiles in chancel;
beamed tower ceiling with painted decoration; various C18, C19 and C20 monuments,
notably to Thomas and Ann Chafin, 1705 and to George and Elizabeth Chafin 1766.
(RCHM Dorset, vol.IV, p.10, no.1. Newman, J. and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of
England: Dorset, 1972, p.151.)
Listing NGR: ST9515813286
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings