This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0717 / 51°4'17"N
Longitude: -2.332 / 2°19'55"W
OS Eastings: 376834
OS Northings: 130311
OS Grid: ST768303
Mapcode National: GBR 0V6.R7H
Mapcode Global: FRA 6609.1BC
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 16 August 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324553
English Heritage Legacy ID: 102878
Location: Bourton, North Dorset, Dorset, SP8
District: North Dorset
Civil Parish: Bourton
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Upper Stour
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 73 SE BOURTON CHURCH TRACK
1/35 Church of
16.8.60. St George
Parish Church, largely 1877/8, though probably incorporating work
of 1812. Tower 1903-5. 1877/8 work by E Christian (Newman and
Pevsner). Tower by C E Ponting. Coursed, squared rubble with ashlar
dressings. Slate roofs, gabled to nave and hipped, apsidal to
chancel. Stone copings. Generally in the 'perpendicular' style.
Plan: nave, chancel, west tower, south organ chamber and south porch.
Tower: 2 stages with embattled parapet and corner crocketted
pinnacles rising entire second stage: 2-centred west door with
moulded, returned label; 2-light, 2- centred, west-window with
returned label; ogee-headed bell openings with finials and louvres,
paired to the east and west. Nave and organ chamber windows of 2-lights
with 2-centred heads and returned labels. North and south chancel
windows similar to nave, apse windows have single lights and flowing
tracery. Nave and organ chamber have diagonal buttresses at angles
and square set buttresses between windows. Gabled porch with ashlar
south face and 2-centred doorway with returned label. Interior
features: 2-centred, moulded chancel arch with semi-octagonal
responds with capitals and bases, label with foliage carved stops
over; 2-centred, tower arch with semi-octagonal responds having capitals
and bases; Organ chamber arch is 2-centred springing from corbels;
Arch-braced hammer-beam nave roof with arch braced collars and king-posts;
ribbed and boarded chancel roof; C19/C20 traceried pulpit, C19/C20
octagonal font with carved panels on panelled octagonal pier; number
of reset early C19 monuments; C19 and early C20 glass; C19 encaustic
tiles in chancel; other fittings largely C19/C20.
(RCHM Dorset, vol IV, p 3, no 1. Newman J and Pevsner N, The
Buildings of England: Dorset. Penguin, 1972, p 105. Pitfield F P
Dorset Parish Churches A-D, Dorset Publishing Company, 1981 , pp
Listing NGR: ST7683430311
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings