History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Court Approximately 175m South-East of Clayesmore School

A Grade II Listed Building in Iwerne Minster, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9304 / 50°55'49"N

Longitude: -2.1944 / 2°11'39"W

OS Eastings: 386435

OS Northings: 114562

OS Grid: ST864145

Mapcode National: GBR 1YG.Q02

Mapcode Global: FRA 669N.0YH

Entry Name: Stable Court Approximately 175m South-East of Clayesmore School

Listing Date: 24 June 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1324616

English Heritage Legacy ID: 103209

Location: Iwerne Minster, North Dorset, Dorset, DT11

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

Civil Parish: Iwerne Minster

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Iwerne Minster St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Iwerne Minster

Listing Text

ST 8614 IWERNE MINSTER BLANDFORD ROAD (West Side)

10/119 Stable Court approximately 175m
south-east of Clayesmore School

II

Stable-court, now school laboratories and dormitories, c.1880. By
Alfred Waterhouse for Lord Wolverton. Brick with some timber-framing in
the clock-tower. Tiled roofs with asymmetrically placed brick stacks.
A pictureque, High Victorian composition. Single storey with attics,
irregular fenestration. Various casements with glazing bars, some under
segmental brick heads. Entrance arch has clock-tower over; this has
tourelle to the left and buttress with 'tumbled-in' brickwork right. Pyramidal
roof with pedimented, projecting clock. Pointed arch of 2 orders. To the
right of the range a projecting chimney which balances the composition has
its top stage missing. Projecting gable with patterned brickwork left.
Attached and at right angles is the former fire-station building. (Newman, J
and Pevsner, N. The Buildings of England: Dorset, 1972, p.240).


Listing NGR: ST8643514562

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.