This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7274 / 50°43'38"N
Longitude: -1.8643 / 1°51'51"W
OS Eastings: 409670
OS Northings: 91986
OS Grid: SZ096919
Mapcode National: GBR X93.8X
Mapcode Global: FRA 67Z5.3HW
Entry Name: Central Railway Station
Listing Date: 1 August 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324706
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101762
Location: Bournemouth, BH8
Unitary Authority Ward: East Cliff and Springbourne
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bournemouth St Clement
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
Central Railway Station
Railway station. 1885, built to the designs of William Jacomb, engineer to the London and
South-Western Railway. Red brick walls to partly covered shed spanned by width of 4
tracks by 12 immense cross-braced riveted wrought-iron trusses, with criss-cross pattern of
struts, on open foliage brackets of iron; glazed only over platforms, with 3 shallow and
pitched roofs on each side, originally covered by a glazed roof of 9 longitudinal sections (the
centre 3 having been removed). 2 storeys. The glazed screens at either end have been
dismantled. 22 bays on southern elevation (downside) with very large buttresses in the form
of brick consoles to 13 of these bays; smaller buttresses of smaller outline elsewhere. Upper
storey has triplets of slender segmental-headed windows of moulded brick, separated by brick
buttress piers, each topped by stucco cornice and pediment (over 2 rows of brick dentils).
Projecting forebuilding with segmental-headed windows and metal canopy; single-storey
annexe to east. Similar northern elevation (upside) with 2-storey projection for refreshment
rooms and offices and Jacobethan-style pedimented entrance. Goods shed attached to east,
in similar style with semi-circular arches, open to platform side, and lattice-girder roof.
Elevations to platforms have brick pilasters on stucco fluted bases, doorcases also stucco;
alternate pilasters crowned by miniature coupled pilasters and pediment. The most elaboorate
of the stations designed in the Queen Anne style for the LSWR. Similar roofs, supported on
cross girders rather than trusses, were built at Carlisle of 1847 by Sir William Tite and
Stoke-on-Trent of 1848 by H.A. Hunt.
Listing NGR: SZ0967091986
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings