History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Branksome Dene Convalescent Home

A Grade II Listed Building in Westbourne and West Cliff, Bournemouth

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7125 / 50°42'45"N

Longitude: -1.9028 / 1°54'10"W

OS Eastings: 406957

OS Northings: 90324

OS Grid: SZ069903

Mapcode National: GBR 446.CQ6

Mapcode Global: FRA 67X6.6HR

Entry Name: Branksome Dene Convalescent Home

Listing Date: 17 January 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1324710

English Heritage Legacy ID: 101702

Location: Bournemouth, BH4

County: Bournemouth

Unitary Authority Ward: Westbourne and West Cliff

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Bournemouth St Ambrose

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Canford Cliffs

Listing Text

1. ALUMHURST ROAD
5l86 (West Side)
Branksome Dene
Convalescent Home
SZ 0690 2/68 17.1.71.

II

2.
1860, E B Lamb for C A King, vastly enlarged circa 1880 for Lord Wimborne (probably
by W H Romaine-Walker) and circa 1913-14 for Sir Ernest Cassel (interiors by
Sir Guy Dawber). Original villa plain Barry-Italianate, buff brick and stucco,
3 windows wide. 3 canted bays to garden (west) elaborate wrought-iron verandah
with pairs of fluted Ionic colonnettes at centre and ends, scrolly openwork arches
between. Garden terrace balustraded, with urns, large formal garden. Entrance
front (east) with rusticated stucco ground floor, tripartite windows on 1st floor
with segmental pediments over centre lights. Console-bracketed eaves, balustraded
parapet. Big south wing circa 1880 of similar character (2 more canted bays to
garden). North wing with lower service rooms, extended circa 1914 by long plain
range recessed behind earlier Jacobean billiard-room.
Interior has 2 living rooms from Lamb, with rich plaster cornices and rosettes,
mixing arabesque, French and foliage patterns. Staircase hall skylit, with glazed
round-arched clerestory and tall tripartite doorway to service wing, elaborate
scrolly stair rail. But the house's importance lies in the interior of the south
wing: 3 rooms and a garden lobby, all interconnected by sliding doors. 2 end
rooms have surprisingly classical interiors of circa 1880, each with genuine Adam-period
chimneypiece surmounted by richly garlanded round-headed window (with coat-of-arms
at apex). Bay windows flanked by fluted piers, friezes of alternating triglyphs
and medallions, ceiling frame of guilloche. The present Board Room is a classical
cube of circa 1914 by Dawber. Walls panelled in mahogany with segmental pedimental
over overmantel, genuine Georgian fireplace (frieze of Diana). Deep coving to
ceiling, acanthus pattern to circular ceiling frame. Also by Dawber the groin-vaulted
passage to south wing.


Listing NGR: SZ0695790324

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.