This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7231 / 50°43'23"N
Longitude: -1.8806 / 1°52'50"W
OS Eastings: 408523
OS Northings: 91508
OS Grid: SZ085915
Mapcode National: GBR X6W.JH
Mapcode Global: FRA 67Y5.H4M
Entry Name: Church of St Stephen
Listing Date: 5 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324756
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101844
Location: Bournemouth, BH2
Unitary Authority Ward: Central
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bournemouth Town Centre
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
768/13/2 ST STEPHEN'S ROAD
05-MAY-52 (North side)
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
Nave 1881-3, chancel 1896-7, a masterpiece by J L Pearson as memorial to first Vicar of St Peter's, A M Bennett, tower added under F L Pearson 1907-8. Early English style, Purbeck stone and Bath stone dressings, elaborately composed on hillside. High unbuttressed clerestory to nave and transepts of 2-light plate tracery windows, with steep tiled roof, low broad lean-to aisles with leaded roofs. West front has big relieving arch (dogtooth carving) between polygonal stone-spired turrets, wheel window in gable, recessed triplet of 2-light windows with gabled buttresses between and gabled door in blind arcade below. North-west tower, pyramid-roofed (spire intended), has very tall pairs of 2-light belfry windows with arcaded spandrels and bracketed cornice. South porch. Apse with lancets to Lady Chapel east of north transept. Apse to chancel has stepped lancet triplets, each under segmental relieving arch between buttresses with set-offs, eaves cornice of alternating brackets, splayed hipped roof with iron cross on leaded finials. Polygonal leaded fleche on roof ridge at crossing has lancet openings over an openwork gallery. In angle of transepts and chancel, square towers supporting circular belfry stage with traceried louvred lancets and conical spirelet. South-east vestry, 2 storeys, gabled Early English domestic style, with some 4-light traceried windows, others flat-headed under trefoiled relieving arches. Interior has 2-bay vaulted narthex under gallery in west bay, then 5-bay main arcade with quatrefoil piers and double-chamfered arches, eastern bay canted inwards towards crossing. Passageway with pierced balustrade below clerestory windows. Wall shafts to ground carry main quadripartite vault of stone. Double aisles, with low arches on quatrefoil piers, also entirely rib-vaulted. High vaulted crossing. North transept has rose window over lancets, Lady Chapel to east has dogtooth-carved ribbed vault, dogtooth-carved inner arches to lancets, Cosmati-type pavement and openwork brass altar rail. South transept largely occupied by organ gallery with canted front on 3 arches, over vaulted chapel with 7-ribbed vault. Both transepts have small eastern lobby, vaulted, between chapel and choir aisle. Eastern apse also rib-vaulted with shafted pillars (with shaft-rings) connected as internal buttresses by steeply pointed arches across continuous ambulatory passage behind choir and sanctuary. Buttress arches and apse windows both have pierced balustrade similar to nave and transept well passages. Big polyptych painted wood reredos of Crucifixion and saints, altar rails, wrought-iron parclose screens and choir stalls all given 1899. Altar frontal has painted Adoration of Magi. Sedilia and piacina have low segmental arches. Rood screen of wrought f,ron. Pulpit of white marble (sculptured panels on brown and green colonnettes. Font circular, white marble on pink colonnettes, timber spired cover. Stained glass throughout by Clayton and Bell.
Listing NGR: SZ0852291509
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings