History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stone House

A Grade II Listed Building in Shaftesbury, Dorset

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9982 / 50°59'53"N

Longitude: -2.1929 / 2°11'34"W

OS Eastings: 386556

OS Northings: 122102

OS Grid: ST865221

Mapcode National: GBR 1XP.BDX

Mapcode Global: FRA 669G.TRN

Entry Name: Stone House

Listing Date: 15 October 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1324770

English Heritage Legacy ID: 102015

Location: Shaftesbury, North Dorset, Dorset, SP7

County: Dorset

District: North Dorset

Civil Parish: Shaftesbury

Traditional County: Dorset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset

Church of England Parish: Shaftesbury St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Shaftesbury

Listing Text

1.
1615 FRENCH MILL LANE
(West Side)
No 25 (Stone House)
ST 8622 7/161
II
2.
Late C18 to early C19 and later. Wide low frontage to road, Stone rubble;
slate roof with red tiled ridges. Windowless bay at south end. To north
of this and recessed behind a space now resembling an area, original entrances
to cottages; wooden boarded door to left hand, shuttered window to right
hand, both with basement windows below; space enclosed by C19 railings
and gates. Lean-to annexe with door at north end and another addition
with gabled roof to north of this. 2-storey 4-bay south front of rough
ashlar. Windows 4 panes wide in reveals; keystones to upper windows.
Porch with gabled roof has been removed; glazed door. Modern door at left
hand end. Stone rubble wall with stone capping adjoins the house in south-east
corner. Pier with peaked capping. To south of wall and pier, C19 railings.
Rails curved at top in pairs alternate with rails with spear shaped finials;
gates flanked by square standards with urn finials. Originally steps led
down from gates to garden. Once 2 cottages. Deeds of 1843 refer to an
occupant who had been living in the house for some 45 years.


Listing NGR: ST8655622102

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.