This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.7257 / 50°43'32"N
Longitude: -1.8619 / 1°51'42"W
OS Eastings: 409844
OS Northings: 91797
OS Grid: SZ098917
Mapcode National: GBR X9B.9T
Mapcode Global: FRA 67Z5.BFC
Entry Name: East Cliff United Reform Church and Attached Sunday School/Lecture Hall
Listing Date: 10 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1324771
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101925
Location: Bournemouth, BH1
Unitary Authority Ward: East Cliff and Springbourne
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Bournemouth Town Centre
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SZ 0991 20/189 (South-east side)
East Cliff United Reform
II Church and attached
Sunday School/Lecture Hall
Congregational, now United Reformed Church, with attached former Sunday School/
Lecture Hall (now flat). 1878-9 Kemp Welch and Pinder; additions of 1889-91 by Lawson and Donkin. Grey-buff brick with stone dressings; C20 concrete tile roof. 5-bay Church with south aisle, north-west tower and west porch; added cross-wing at east end incorporating added apse; further east another added cross-wing, wider, with former Sunday School on ground floor and Lecture Hall (now flat) above. In Romanesque-cum-Cinquecento style. Cinquecento windows under hoodmoulds, those on north and south elevations full-height with thick transoms at gallery level; lombard friezes to gables, Church west end has gabled porch with pair of round-arched doorways under relieving arch, 2 cinquecento windows and wheel window above; projecting gabled south aisle on right has subsidiary porch with window over. North-west tower has similar windows and Romanesque intersecting arcading; clock stage; recessed timber polygonal cupola with added leaded dome. Interior: fine contemporary interior has U-shaped gallery on scallop-capitalled columns with leaf-decorated S-section balustrade and secondary gallery across north-east angle filled with later coloured glass; triple-columned arch to apse which has round-arched arcade, ribbed semi-dome and circular top-light; decorative bressumer below organ pipes; fine timber roof trusses with posts and braces forming series of arches with cusping in spandrels; panelled pews; early C20 coloured glass to windows.
A Minister's house formerly adjoined the east end of the building, but this was
Listing NGR: SZ0984491797
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings