History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Remains of Chapel Immediately North East of Painsford Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashprington, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3991 / 50°23'56"N

Longitude: -3.6886 / 3°41'19"W

OS Eastings: 280080

OS Northings: 56837

OS Grid: SX800568

Mapcode National: GBR QM.W61T

Mapcode Global: FRA 375Z.SXT

Entry Name: Remains of Chapel Immediately North East of Painsford Manor

Listing Date: 26 April 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1324945

English Heritage Legacy ID: 100955

Location: Ashprington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Ashprington

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Ashprington St David

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Ashsprington

Listing Text

ASHPRINGTON
SX85NW PAINSFORD
6/46 Remains of Chapel
Immediately North East
of Painsford Manor
GV II

Private chapel of ease. Dated 1683. A rebuilding of a medieval chapel
licensed in 1400. Rebuilt by John Kelland of Painsford Manor (qv). Dressed
slate rubble walls; now roofless.
Plan: Probably originally a single cell chapel of rectangular plan. It is
now a roofless ruin, and some of the walls have fallen.
Exterior: On the south side facing the back of the house there is a round
arch doorway in Beerstone with a cyma and ovolo mouldings and a hoodmould.
There appears to have been a keystone. An inscription around the arch is now
illegible. To the right of the doorway a small tablet in a moulded frame with
the Kelland arms and date 1683. The north wall is more complete and taller,
but the east end is now open.
Interior: There are no features inside.
This private chapel of St John the Baptist was licensed in 1400. John Kelland
who remodelled the house, Painsford Manor, in the late C17 rebuilt the chapel
at the same time and it remained in use until about the middle of the C18.
Source: W.G. Hoskins, Devon, page 322.


Listing NGR: SX8008056837

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.