History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stables Immediately East of Lower Washbourne Barton

A Grade II Listed Building in Ashprington, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.385 / 50°23'5"N

Longitude: -3.6816 / 3°40'53"W

OS Eastings: 280546

OS Northings: 55252

OS Grid: SX805552

Mapcode National: GBR QM.X7VG

Mapcode Global: FRA 3850.X4X

Entry Name: Stables Immediately East of Lower Washbourne Barton

Listing Date: 23 July 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1324974

English Heritage Legacy ID: 100912

Location: Ashprington, South Hams, Devon, TQ9

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Ashprington

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Harberton

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Find accommodation in
Ashsprington

Listing Text

ASHPRINGTON
Stables immediately East
SX85NW of Lower Washbourne
6/2 Barton
23.7.87

GV II

Stable range and coachhouse with loft above. Circa 1830-40. Plastered stone
rubble. Corrugated iron hipped roof with deep eaves with shaped soffit
brackets. The left hipped end retains the slates.
Plan: Rectangular plan. Stables to the left with front entrance to the left
of centre and an integral coach-house to the right also with a front entrance;
a loft over both parts.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical front. 3 tall windows with segmented heads
and C20 cross mullion-transom window frames. Large coach-house doorway to the
right with a segmented head, the door missing; and a stable doorway to the
left of centre with a pair of engraved round arches above. All the openings
had plaster keystones. There is a very small loft window under the eaves to
the left of centre.
Interior: The stalls have been taken out. The roof has elm roof trusses.
A bell lying inside the stables is dated 1602 and has name Henry (Somster?).


Listing NGR: SX8054655252

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.