History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Margaret

A Grade II* Listed Building in Altrincham, Trafford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.387 / 53°23'13"N

Longitude: -2.362 / 2°21'43"W

OS Eastings: 376017

OS Northings: 387852

OS Grid: SJ760878

Mapcode National: GBR CYY8.FL

Mapcode Global: WH98V.P4F9

Entry Name: Church of St Margaret

Listing Date: 12 July 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1325200

English Heritage Legacy ID: 212760

Location: Trafford, WA14

County: Trafford

Electoral Ward/Division: Altrincham

Built-Up Area: Altrincham

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Dunham Massey St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Altrincham

Listing Text

SJ 78 NE ALTRINCHAM DUNHAM ROAD
(north side)

7/8 Church of Saint
- Margaret

- II*

Church. 1853-5. W. Hayley. Extended westward 1923-5 by W.
Tapper. Rock faced stone and ashlar with slate roof. Nave,
aisles, south porch, transepts, crossing tower, sanctuary
with vestry and side chapel. The nave extends 2 bays
further west than the aisles as part of an incomplete scheme
of 1923. The 4-bay aisles have projecting plinth, weathered
buttresses, sill band, eaves parapet and 3-light C14 style
windows. The porch is in bay 2 and has diagonal butresses.
Clerestory has 2-light windows. Transepts have angled
buttresss with gablets and crocketed pinnacles (missing on
south side) and 3-light 2-tier windows. 3-bay chancel has
2-light clerestory windows, angle buttresses with crocketed
pinnacles and a 7-light 2-tier rectilinear window. The 2-
stage central tower, which had a steeple untill 1927, has
angle buttresses with offsets and gablets, a clock face, 2-
light belfry openings in each face with arched ogee
dripmoulds, and castellations. Interior: free Perpendicular
nave arcade with ornate angelic hammerbeam roof and carved
musicians at the springing of the arches. Chancel has
sedilia piscina, massive free-standing late C19 alabaster
reredos (behind which an earlier reredos survives) and Very
elaborate canted Gothic panelled ceiling. Tall crossing
arches. Fittings included carved screens, organ chamber,
pulpit and various stained glass. An exceptionally imposing
example of that phase of the Gothic Revival which just
preceded High Victorian Gothic.


Listing NGR: SJ7601787852

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.