This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3101 / 50°18'36"N
Longitude: -4.0412 / 4°2'28"W
OS Eastings: 254756
OS Northings: 47560
OS Grid: SX547475
Mapcode National: GBR Q0.YZS9
Mapcode Global: FRA 28F6.TP0
Entry Name: 36
Listing Date: 19 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325260
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100427
Location: Newton and Noss, South Hams, Devon, PL8
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Newton and Noss
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX5447 NEWTON AND NOSS NOSS MAYO
Former village school and master's house, now a cottage. Circa 1840-50 with
extension to south dated 1878. Slate rubble with grey limestone dressings. Slate
roof with gabled ends. L-shaped on plan. Master's house to right: two storey, two
window range. Single storey school room in wing projecting left, with small stone
gabled bellcote over the gable and later plaque inscribed "The Tilly Institute".
Chamfered ashlar window openings, with casements complete with glazing bars.
Chamfered doorways. Master's house has C20 glazed wooden porch. Ridge chimney stack
with group of three octagonal flues. School extended to south-to form T-shaped
plan. Rear chimney stack with set-offs.
Listing NGR: SX5475647560
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings