This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3305 / 50°19'49"N
Longitude: -3.9966 / 3°59'47"W
OS Eastings: 257990
OS Northings: 49745
OS Grid: SX579497
Mapcode National: GBR Q3.9R5Z
Mapcode Global: FRA 28J5.6TH
Entry Name: Gnaton Hall
Listing Date: 29 March 1960
Last Amended: 19 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325263
English Heritage Legacy ID: 100439
Location: Newton and Noss, South Hams, Devon, PL8
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Newton and Noss
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX 54 NE NEWTON AND NOSS
29/3/60 Gnaton Hall (formerly
included as "Gnaton Hall")
Country house in landscaped gardens on or near the site of an earlier house built
by Walter Hele, son of Sir John Hele of Wembury House qv. Circa 1826. Probably
byJ Birch of London, for Henry H R Roe, Stuccoed, and with rusticated quoins.
Hipped slate roof with moulded cornice and blocking course. Conically roofed
lantern over centre with wrought iron weathervane. Near square double-depth plan.
Two storeys. 2:3:2 bays. Centre three bays break forward with pediment. Large
sash windows with glazing bars ground floor left hand late C19 splayed bay window.
Central doorway with massive Doric porch panelled double doors and rectangular
fanlight. Three bays south elevation with central semi-circular two storeyed
bay, tripartite sashes with blind bosses and Victorian glazed verandah on ground
floor. Interior: contemporary features intact including central staircase with
oval lantern, plasterwork, joinery and good marble chimneypieces. Two ground floor
rooms on south side were converted into music room in late C19 and dividing screen
has 2 fluted columns, and ceiling has finely painted decoration with naturalistically
painted flowers in roundels and painted flower borders. The formerly adjoining
R C Chapel of St Mary has been dismantled. Material form the earlier house includes
a large stone reset into a C19 stable range to the south west and inscribed "PER
W. A. HELE AR: 1596", and C16 stone door frames reused in the kitchen garden walls
and bothy qv. Reference: H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of British Architects.
Listing NGR: SX5799049745
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings