This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4319 / 50°25'54"N
Longitude: -3.7863 / 3°47'10"W
OS Eastings: 273229
OS Northings: 60640
OS Grid: SX732606
Mapcode National: GBR QF.VC1D
Mapcode Global: FRA 27YX.BRJ
Entry Name: Rattery Viaduct
Listing Date: 27 May 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 99316
Location: Rattery, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Rattery
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Rattery The Blessed Virgin Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 76 SW
6/44 Rattery Viaduct
Railway viaduct circa 1848 by I K Brunel and widened circa 1892-3 when the broad
gauge was replaced. The original single track viaduct is built of coursed
stone rubble of six bays with round arches with granite arch rings, on rectangular
piers laterally pierced by round arch openings. Late C19 stone rubble parapet.
Widened on north side in 1892-3 in rock-faced granite with engineering brick
arch rings. The South Devon Railway was authorised in 1844. This section from
Totnes to have, rear Plymouth was opened in 1848. The Great Western Railway
took over in 1876 and the South Devon Company was dissolved in 1878. The original
broad gauge was replaced in 1892/3. Ref: David St John Thomas, A Regional
History of the Railways of Great Britain, The West Country, pp 66 to 86.
Listing NGR: SX7322960640
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings