This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0108 / 51°0'39"N
Longitude: -3.4159 / 3°24'57"W
OS Eastings: 300762
OS Northings: 124449
OS Grid: ST007244
Mapcode National: GBR LM.JLFB
Mapcode Global: FRA 36QF.YV8
Entry Name: Petton Chapel
Listing Date: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325633
English Heritage Legacy ID: 96700
Location: Bampton, Mid Devon, Devon, EX16
District: Mid Devon
Civil Parish: Bampton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Petton
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
ST 02 SW BAMPTON PETTON
7/56 Petton Chapel
Chapel of ease to Bampton. Re-opened 1848 after thorough rebuilding by G. Boyce of
Tiverton, builder Mr Gale of Bampton. Local stone rubble with slate roofs, the apse
Plan and Development: Nothing of the medieval chapel is visible apart from the bells.
Small, aisleless, Romanesque-style chapel with an apsidal east end, west doorway and
bellcote, north-east vestry. Boyces original design was modified on the advice of
the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society who recommended more correct Romanesque
proportions and details. Internally and externally the building is virtually
unaltered since 1848.
Exterior: 4-bay nave with pilasters and round-headed windows with chamfered
architraves and lattice iron glazing bars string course below windows; similar
pilasters and 3 windows to apse. North east vestry with round-headed east window and
west doorway, small east lean-to. The west end has corner pilasters and a triple
order round-headed doorway with colonnettes and capitals. 2-leaf west door.
Romanesque style Rose west window, the lights divided by colonnettes with cushion
capitals. Gabled west end bellcote for 2 bells, bells medieval.
Interior: Plastered walls ; 4-bay arched brace nave roof on corbels ; round-headed
chancel arch on cushion corbels ; 1 arched brace truss to the chancel, the apse
decorated with pilaster ribs with zig-zag ornament. Bowl font with palmette
decoration and frieze ; timber drum pulpit reduced in height. Timber altar rail with
chamfered standards ; original benches with doors. 1840 memorial tablet behind
pulpit, reused from earlier Church and given a zig-zag Romanesque frame ; stripe of
red glass in east window.
An extremely attractive and very intact isolated chapel. The use of Romanesque is
late for the date.
Listing NGR: ST0076224449
Other nearby listed buildings