This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2206 / 51°13'14"N
Longitude: -3.9395 / 3°56'22"W
OS Eastings: 264652
OS Northings: 148609
OS Grid: SS646486
Mapcode National: GBR KW.3CV6
Mapcode Global: VH4M7.NLQ4
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 25 February 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 97123
Location: Trentishoe, North Devon, Devon, EX31
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Trentishoe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Trentishoe St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS 64 NW
2/151 Church of St Peter
Parish church. C15 fabric to nave walls and tower, the latter with 1638
alterations, chancel built and church restored 1877.
Stone rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel.
Small narrow west tower has embattled parapet and small bell-openings in south and
north sides, the latter with two 1638 dates above referring to alterations.
C19 2-light window to left of south porch which has gabled slate roofs, rough stone
voussoirs to the outer porch doorway arch and C19 semi-circular headed timber casing
to possibly earlier concealed inner doorframe. C19 stepped 3-light lancet to east
chancel end. 2 straight-headed windows of 2 virtually semi-circular-headed lights,
that to left is C19 that to right retains most its original Perpendicular stonework
including labelled hoodmould. Towards west end on north side is a C18 nowy-arched
slate headstone reset on wall with inscription to members of the Stott family.
Interior: C19 scissor-braced roof to chancel, common rafter roof to nave, 5 of the
couples with archbracing. West gallery of 1731, 8 panels wide with winder staircase
in north-west corner. Traces of painted date and inscription survive to central
panels. C19 furnishings including font, pulpit, altar table and communion rails.
Wall monuments. Nave north side: triangular headed slate to Richard Cooke and wife
(d.1773 and 1784) above square slate tablet to Mary d. of Morgan Cooke (d.1714) with
verse and skull and hour glass to base. South side of nave: slate wall monuments to
Capt. John Cooke of Ilfracombe by Watts (d.1859) and below to Margaret, wife of John
Richards d. 1641.
Listing NGR: SS6465248609
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings