This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9729 / 54°58'22"N
Longitude: -1.6112 / 1°36'40"W
OS Eastings: 424984
OS Northings: 564327
OS Grid: NZ249643
Mapcode National: GBR SPL.FY
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.780H
Entry Name: 34-44, Pilgrim Street
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325961
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304775
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2464 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE PILGRIM STREET
14.6.54 Nos. 34-44 (even)
4 shops and houses, now shops and offices. Circa 1837 for Richard Grainger.
Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof with brick chimneys. 5 storeys, 7 bays in
all, the outer ones in pavilions. House entrance in deep reveal at left of
second shop. Shops renewed but third shop retains original wide defining pilasters.
Giant flat paired Tuscan pilasters define pavilions containing first floor
windows in aedicules and second-floor windows in architraves, both tripartite in
the right pavilion. Central 5 bays have window architraves on these floors, with
raised cornices to alternate first-floor windows; second-floor entablature has
prominent cornice. Third-floor windows in plain reveals, with pilasters to
pavilions. All windows sashes, most with glazing bars, except central blind bay.
Listing NGR: NZ2498464327
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings