This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9775 / 54°58'39"N
Longitude: -1.6081 / 1°36'29"W
OS Eastings: 425181
OS Northings: 564840
OS Grid: NZ251648
Mapcode National: GBR SQ1.ZT
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.84HZ
Entry Name: Former Brady and Martin Building
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1325992
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304753
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: South Jesmond
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2564 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NORTHUMBERLAND ROAD
17/426 Former Brady and Martin
building. (Formerly listed
as Newcastle Building).
Offices and warehouse, later Polytechnic building. 1890 and 1897 by W.L.Newcombe for
Brady and Martin, wholesale chemical manufacturers. Red brick with ashlar dressings;
Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys, 5 bays and right extension of 3 bays. Rusticated pilast-
ers support ground floor entablature; giant Ionic Order above has modillioned cornice.
Right extension has end pilasters to entablature. Main block has central door and
fanlight in doorcase with scrolled pediment. Ground floor oriel windows have Ipswich
glazing bars; paired sashes above have segmental pediments on first and architraves
on second floors, in both parts of the building, except for central round-headed
window in extension. Hipped roof. Empty at time of survey.
Redeveloped behind front facade.
Listing NGR: NZ2518164840
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings