History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Gate Piers About 40 Metres South of the Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Lewtrenchard, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6539 / 50°39'14"N

Longitude: -4.1839 / 4°11'2"W

OS Eastings: 245716

OS Northings: 86080

OS Grid: SX457860

Mapcode National: GBR NT.8556

Mapcode Global: FRA 273B.ZSZ

Entry Name: Gate Piers About 40 Metres South of the Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 7 November 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326328

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92352

Location: Lewtrenchard, West Devon, Devon, EX20

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Lewtrenchard

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Thrushelton

Listing Text

SX 48 NE LEW TRENCHARD LEW TRENCHARD

4/106 Gate piers about 40m south of the
- Church of St Peter

GV II


Gate piers and gate into churchyard. Late C19, probably designed by Sabine Baring-
Gould and contemporary with the adjacent gate piers and wall leading to the Manor
Hotel (q.v.), formerly Lew House. Stone rubble and granite, wrought iron gate and
overthrow. Gate piers of rectangular section have moulded granite cornices and
moulded granite pinnacles terminating in a bulbous finial. 2 mounting blocks with 3
steps and slate tops are fixed to the south side of the piers. A pair of wrought
iron gates has a frieze of 'S' scrolls below the top rail and scrollwork above it.
The overthrow has scroll work on either side of a central lamp. Sabine Baring-Gould
(1834-1924) was both squire and parson at Lew Trenchard from 1881 until his death.
He was a High churchman, antiquarian and prolific author of fiction and theological
works. He rebuilt Lew House in the late C19 and completely restored the church of
St. Peter (q.v.).


Listing NGR: SX4571586083

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.