History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Lifton, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 50.6428 / 50°38'34"N

Longitude: -4.2829 / 4°16'58"W

OS Eastings: 238684

OS Northings: 85053

OS Grid: SX386850

Mapcode National: GBR NP.8XBQ

Mapcode Global: FRA 17XC.P9M

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 14 June 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326351

English Heritage Legacy ID: 92391

Location: Lifton, West Devon, Devon, PL16

County: Devon

District: West Devon

Civil Parish: Lifton

Built-Up Area: Lifton

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


2/147 The Old Rectory

House adjoining and formerly part of the Old Manor (q.v.). Circa 1760 with C20
alterations. Rendered with slate roof with gabled ends and rendered stack at left
gable end. Rendered stack at right gable end shared with the Old Manor. Single
depth plan, 2 rooms wide with central rear stair projection with hipped roof. Rear
left and right outshuts under catslide roofs may be integral. 2 storeys.
Symmetrical 5-bay front with moulded timber eaves cornice. Central C20 front door,
18-pane boxed sashes on front. There is some evidence for an C18 entrance on the
left return into the left outshut.
Interior The lack of service rooms suggests that this house was used as the
principal reception rooms and the earlier build (the Old Manor) used as kitchen and
service rooms. The front entrance leads directly into the left hand room but the
presence of a large archway may indicate a former entrance hall leading into the rear
stair hall. 2 C18 panelled rooms, some of the panelling replaced in the C20, with
original cornices and fireplaces consisting of consoles supporting an entablature
decorated with a running frieze with central scallop shell. Dog-leg stair with
turned balusters and flat moulded ramped wreathed handrail. 6-panel doors, some
introduced from elsewhere.

Listing NGR: SX3868285050

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.