History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Mansion House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Yanwath and Eamont Bridge, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.6502 / 54°39'0"N

Longitude: -2.7407 / 2°44'26"W

OS Eastings: 352305

OS Northings: 528593

OS Grid: NY523285

Mapcode National: GBR 9G9N.GT

Mapcode Global: WH81B.WC3Y

Entry Name: Mansion House

Listing Date: 6 February 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1326789

English Heritage Legacy ID: 74382

Location: Yanwath and Eamont Bridge, Eden, Cumbria, CA10

County: Cumbria

District: Eden

Civil Parish: Yanwath and Eamont Bridge

Traditional County: Westmorland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Clifton St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Penrith

Listing Text

NY 52 NW
YANWATH & EAMONT BRIDGE

EAMONT BRIDGE

9/172
6.2.88

Mansion House

II*

Former house now offices. Dated and inscribed over entrance R. & L.B. 1686
(Rolland Barrow, Rector of Brougham, and his wife.) Painted rendered walls,with
eaves cornice and raised quoins, on chamfered plinth; all dressings of grey-pink
sandstone. Graduated greenslate roof with C20 red sandstone chimney stacks.
2 storeys and attic, 5 bays. Central projecting enclosed stone porch has raised
quoins and open balustraded balcony above; C20 double doors in stone architrave
with dated lintel. Above was a first-floor balcony door in bolection architrave
with frieze (inscribed 1977, the date of restoration) under swan-necked pediment
on scrolled brackets, now filled with a C20 cross-mullioned window. Large
2-light flat stone-mullioned windows, in architraves showing signs of the
removed transoms; cornice over. Smaller 2-light attic windows. Left return
wall has small stone-surround windows, larger 2-light window and a C19 attic
window. Right return wall and rear have nearly all the original cross-mullioned
windows complete. The interior has many original features despite having been
subdivided. Late C17 oak staircase with barley-twist balusters and heavy
moulded handrail. Segmental-arched stone fireplace in front room beside a
spiral stone staircase which suggests that part of the earlier house has been
incorporated. See RCHM, Westmorland, 1936, p.252 and field notes for same by
John Charlton, 20 October 1934. C20 additions to right and rear are not of
special interest.


Listing NGR: NY5230528593

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.