This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4068 / 50°24'24"N
Longitude: -4.6685 / 4°40'6"W
OS Eastings: 210480
OS Northings: 59724
OS Grid: SX104597
Mapcode National: GBR N5.RLNP
Mapcode Global: FRA 173Z.91F
Entry Name: Freemasons' Hall
Listing Date: 18 October 1949
Last Amended: 28 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1327326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 70880
Location: Lostwithiel, Cornwall, PL22
Civil Parish: Lostwithiel
Built-Up Area: Lostwithiel
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lostwithiel
Church of England Diocese: Truro
LOSTWITHIEL QUAY STREET, Lostwithiel
SX 15 NW
10/128 Freemasons' Hall (formerly listed
18.10.49 as the Duchy Palace)
Freemasons' Hall, formerly the Convocation Hall of the Duchy Palace, having been used
as the meeting place of the Stannators, or tinners' representatives after the decay
of the Great Hall. Circa 1280, with later alterations; in 1878 the hall was sold to
the Freemasons, who carried out restorations and alterations. Slatestone rubble with
granite and Pentewan stone dressings. Slurried slate roof with gable end to left and
hipped to right end, with axial stack to left of ridge, rear lateral stack to rear
right and end stack to right.
Plan: at ground floor there is a continuous vaulted undercroft or cellar, originally
entered only from the outside of the building; at upper level, there is a stair well
at the left end leading to an antechamber, with the main hall to the north; the
partition wall is unusually thick, although it is not, likely that this was originally
an external wall, as the cellar vault continues unbroken with no partition, and it
would appear from the Bucks engraving of 1734 that the south wall of the Convocation
Hall abutted directly on to the north wall of the Great Hall; however there are
remains of a window at upper level to south, (left end) which indicates that there
may at one time have been space between the two buildings. The Bucks engraving shows
a second floor, lighted on the front by 4 dormer windows; a straight stair leads from
the antechamber to the second floor, where there is a small room over the
antechamber, the rest of the upper floor being within the roof space.
The front to Quay Street has heavy setback wall surfaces with 4 weathered buttresses
dividing the front into 4 bays. Bay to left has gabled porch, of 1878 restoration,
with pointed arched doorway of 2 chamfered orders with stops in Pentewan stone (said
to have been removed from the south~end of the building) with studded double doors.
Second bay has pointed arched door with relieving arch, giving access to cellar; at
upper level, 2-light granite arched window with upper quatrefoil and cusped lights,
of 1878. Third bay has single cusped light under eaves in granite surround, which
may be one of the original windows. The fourth bay has a similar 2-light window of
1878. At the point between first and second bay, above the partition wall, a ridge
stack of circa 1600, in granite ashlar, with cornice and shaped top.
The right end has weathered set-back buttresses, wall set back above ground floor
level as at front, with central wide 4-centred arched doorway with double doors of
C19; blocked central window with granite lintel and a recess above with chamfered
granite surround with carved stone coat of arms and helm, shield with 15 besants in
pile, flanked by lions. Second block opening above, and chimney in slatestone rubble
with granite quoins. At the top of the roof hip, a plume of three feathers carved in
oak, said to have been erected by the Black Prince when he paid his first visit to
Lostwithiel in 1353. The upper stage of the building has granite quoins. Rear not
wholly accessible,, rear lateral external stack with brick chimney to rear left,
heating the hall only.
Interior Much altered; all fireplaces have been blocked, at 2nd floor chimneypiece
remains in room above antechamber, blocked fireplace to rear left of hall and
projection in wall to rear right which may also have been a fireplace. In the rear
wall of the antechamber is a 3-light chamfered granite window. The cellar has
continuous plastered barrel vault. Roof mainly of late C18/early C19, with straight
principals morticed at the apices, straight collars pegged to the faces of the
principals; formerly had 2 rows of trenched purlins.
(Sources: Pounds, N.J.G.: The Duchy Palace at Lostwithiel, Cornwall, in The
Archaeological Journal, volume 136 for 1979. Hext, F.M.: Memorials of Lostwithiel
Listing NGR: SX1048059724
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings