History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pool Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Camborne, Cornwall

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.2278 / 50°13'40"N

Longitude: -5.2663 / 5°15'58"W

OS Eastings: 167136

OS Northings: 41530

OS Grid: SW671415

Mapcode National: GBR Z0.RRPV

Mapcode Global: VH12J.NJSQ

Entry Name: Pool Methodist Church

Listing Date: 12 September 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1328159

English Heritage Legacy ID: 66694

Location: Carn Brea, Cornwall, TR15

County: Cornwall

Civil Parish: Carn Brea

Built-Up Area: Camborne

Traditional County: Cornwall

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall

Church of England Parish: Saint Illogan

Church of England Diocese: Truro

Find accommodation in
Illogan

Listing Text

CARN BREA FORE STREET
SW 64 SE
(south side)
5/146
Pool
Pool Methodist Church

II
Wesleyan Methodist chapel. Dated 1862 in gable; enlarged 1865; altered. Snecked
killas with granite quoins and dressings, sides and rear of uncoursed rubble,
modern pantiled roof. Rectangular plan on north-south axis, 3x6 bays (originally
3x3), gable to road. Two storeys; the symmetrical 3-bay facade has a wide
basket-arched doorway in the centre, with panelled doors and an overlight, a
round-headed window above the door, and tall round-headed windows on each
side (their heads at the same level), all these openings with long-and-short
voussoirs and raised keystones; the gable contains a moulded roundel with the
date "1862", and marks round the margin of its triangle suggest that the
dressings of a former simple pediment have been removed. Ridge ventilator on
roof. The side walls have a quoined vertical joint to the rear of the 3rd bay,
and 16-pane sashed windows on both floors, and the east side has tall doorways
in the 5th and 6th bays. Interior: horseshoe gallery on iron Tuscan columns with
coupled brackets supporting a jettied front which is panelled; basket-arched apse
to choir gallery (containing organ) with classical-style architrave including
pilasters with imposts, moulded cornice, and small pediment with acanthus
decoration; rostrum supported by low Tuscan colonnade, deck protected by
Gothic-style trefoil arcading and approached by elegant curved staircases rising
from the rear.


Listing NGR: SW6713641530

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.