This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9543 / 52°57'15"N
Longitude: -1.4491 / 1°26'56"W
OS Eastings: 437108
OS Northings: 339800
OS Grid: SK371398
Mapcode National: GBR PR2.FB
Mapcode Global: WHDGT.Q05H
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 10 November 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1328833
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352210
Location: Breadsall, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE21
Civil Parish: Breadsall
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Breadsall All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF BREADSALL CHURCH LANE
SK 33 NE
4/4 (East Side)
10.11.67 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12, C13, C14, restoration after a fire 1915 by
W D Caroe. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings.
Plain tile roofs. West steeple, nave with north aisle and south
porch, chancel with north vestry. C13 tower of four stages
divided by chamfered stringcourses. Chamfered plinth. Clasping
buttresses rising to crenellated parapet on corbels. West
doorway of two chamfered orders and with colonnettes. Restored
in C19. Plank door with elaborate wrought iron work. Blocked
triangular headed lancet above. Above again is a paired 2-light
window within a single chamfered arch. Hoodmould with dogtooth.
Large paired lancet bell-openings above two plainly chamfered
orders. The north side has a double chamfered lancet, a single
chamfered lancet above and bell-openings as to the west. To the
south is a paired. 2-light window within a single chamfered arch,
as to the west and paired lancet bell-openings as to the west.
Similar bell-openings to the east, and below, the roofline of
the C13 nave. Early C14 octagonal stone spire with two tiers of
tiny lucarnes. On the south side the nave and chance are in
one. Parapet with moulded stringcourse and coping. Gabled
south porch with a lancet to east and paired lancets to west.
Plain round arched doorway with studded plank door. To the left
is a C19 round-arched window. To the right are three large
square headed C14 windows with reticulated tracery set in double
chamfered surrounds. Returned hoodmoulds. Priest's doorway
with hollow and roll mouldings, and hoodmould. 2-light Perp
style window with hoodmould on pendant stops. Angle buttresses
at the east end. Large 5-light Perp east window, renewed by
Caroe in 1915. Hoodmould with pendant stops. Shallowly gabled
C20 north vestry with domestic type mullioned windows. The
north side of the chancel has one plain lancet. Lean-to north
aisle. Parapet. 3-light east window with cusped intersecting
tracery. The north elevation of the aisle has angle buttresses
to the east, diagonal to the west and two intermediate
buttresses. 3-light window with cusped intersecting tracery.
To the right a larger 3-light window with cusped intersecting
tracery. North doorway with moulded surround and hoodmould.
One small 2-light clerestory window at the west end, square
headed with cusping. 3-light west window with cusped
intersecting tracery. Hoodmould with unusual swag-like stops.
C12 south doorway with two orders of colonnettes, a zigzag arch,
and a simply decorated label. Plank door with re-used elaborate
wrought ironwork. Interior: Broad C13 tower arch of three
chamfered orders with moulded imposts. C13 three bay north
arcade with circular piers, octagonal capitals with nailhead
decoration, keeled responds and double chamfered arches. Squint
between north aisle chapel and chancel, and above it is remains
of the rood stair. The north aisle has a blocked arched recess
with roll moulding. Late C14 wooden sculpture, a pieta probably
of German origin. In the chancel, triple sedilia with cusped
ogee arches and shields in the spandrels above. Piscina with a
tall pointed arch. The roofs are of a high quality Perp style,
dating from the 1915 restoration. Castellated and moulded tie
beams on angel corbels, tracery above. Timber fittings of a
high quality, ie: rood screen with coving and gallery, pulpit
choir stalls, communion rail and organ case. All date from
after 1915. C19 octagonal font.
Listing NGR: SK3711239799
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings