This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9697 / 52°58'10"N
Longitude: -1.4635 / 1°27'48"W
OS Eastings: 436128
OS Northings: 341504
OS Grid: SK361415
Mapcode National: GBR 6D9.W98
Mapcode Global: WHDGM.HMB7
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 6 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1329230
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352275
Location: Little Eaton, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE21
Civil Parish: Little Eaton
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Little Eaton St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF LITTLE EATON VICARAGE LANE
SK 34 SE
1/72 (North Side)
Church of St Paul
Parish church. 1791, enlarged and remodelled 1837, enlarged
1851, restored 1869 by Giles & Brookhouse. Coursed squared
gritstone with gritstone dressings. Welsh slate roofs with
stone coped gables. West tower, nave, large north aisle,
chancel and north vestry. West tower of four stages divided by
chamfered stringcourses. Clasping buttresses to west. West
elevation has two semi-circular headed lancets with hoodmoulds.
A similar lancet above and a small arrow slit above again. The
north side has a flight of stone steps up to a semi-circular
headed doorway. Arrow slit above. On the south side a
semi-circular headed doorway with a stepped moulding and two
roll mouldings. Hoodmould. Semi-circular headed lancet above
and an arrow slit above again. Paired bell openings to all four
sides, with nook shafts and cushion capitals. Circular opening
above, all embraced by a semi-circular headed arch. Hoodmould.
Battlemented parapet. The south side of the nave has two
windows of paired semi-circular headed lights with a circle
above, set within a larger arch. Small round arched lancet to
right. Chancel south has two round-arched lancets with
continuous hoodmould. Clasping buttresses at the east end.
East window of three stepped round-arched lancets within a roll
moulded super arch. Lean-to vestry has a 2-light chamfered
mullion window. Large gabled north aisle, as big as the nave.
East window similar to the main east window but unmoulded. The
north side has a round-arched doorway with plank door. To the
right a broad gabled north projection is all that survives of
the 1791 building. It has one round-arched keyed window. West
window similar to the aisle east window. Interior: north
arcade of three round arches, circular piers and abaci, open
trefoils in the spandrels. The nave has a boarded ceiling with
exposed trusses with trefoil motifs. Similar roof in the north
aisle. Stone font has a square bowl with incised motifs, on a
circular base. Monuments: in the north aisle a gothic aedicule
to John Tempest, died 1863, by J B Robinson of Derby. On the
south wall a tablet to William Tempest, died 1842, by N Coulson.
North gallery supported on two iron columns. Round-arched
panels with painted commandments, either side of the aisle west
Listing NGR: SK3612841504
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings