History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Foord Almshouses Nos 1-47 with Gate and Forecourt Walls Attached

A Grade II* Listed Building in Rochester West, Medway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3769 / 51°22'36"N

Longitude: 0.4946 / 0°29'40"E

OS Eastings: 573715

OS Northings: 167163

OS Grid: TQ737671

Mapcode National: GBR PPT.RVH

Mapcode Global: VHJLT.JNC9

Entry Name: Foord Almshouses Nos 1-47 with Gate and Forecourt Walls Attached

Listing Date: 24 October 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1329912

English Heritage Legacy ID: 173137

Location: Medway, ME1

County: Medway

Electoral Ward/Division: Rochester West

Built-Up Area: Rochester

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Borstal St Matthew

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Find accommodation in
Strood

Listing Text

ROCHESTER PRIESTFIELDS
TW 76 NW
2/204 Foord Almshouses
Nos 1-47 with gate
and forecourt
walls attached
24.10.50
GV II*
Almhouses, with gate and forecourt walls attached. 1926. E Guy
Dawber architect. Flemish bond red brick, stone dressings, Kent
tile roofs. 'U' plan court laid out as Cour d'honneur with
forecourt gate and walls. Largely single storey with 2 storey
pavilions. Neo-vernacular style of C17 with Baroque references.
Central axial Hall has 3 bay arcaded loggia with 4 bas relief
roundels in the spandrels. 2 other gabled bays with mullion and
transomed windows, coped parapet gables with finials, 2 light
casements in gables. Gable of hall recessed above loggia with
one arched window and 2 cross gables. Copper spire with cupola
and dome. Wings at east and west have 4 light casements,
segmental pedimented door, gabled dormers. Steep roofs with tall
stacks. Conical roofs to pavilion at angles. Cross axis
pavilions of 2 storeys with 2 bays with gables to centres, 2
dormers to roofs. Hipped returned gables advanced into court.
2 further single storey wings repeat details of those on north
side. Returned into court at entrance are 2 2-storey with attics
pavilions with central gabled bays with 5 light casements, cross
windows to staircases, gabled oriels on gable to court. Single
stack on central axis a Baroque style segmental pedimented gate
with slate inscription 1927 with Ionic pilasters and large scroll
console brackets, balustrade to east and west encloses south
front of court. Forecourt created in front with axial wrought
iron gate and overthrow with lamp. Stone coped brick dwarf wall
with 2 stone coped and finialed piers at NE, SE, NW, SW angles.
Further taller walls return to connection with south front angle
pavilions.


Listing NGR: TQ7367067086

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.