History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1, the Green

A Grade II Listed Building in Foxton, Cambridgeshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.113 / 52°6'46"N

Longitude: 0.0556 / 0°3'20"E

OS Eastings: 540853

OS Northings: 248072

OS Grid: TL408480

Mapcode National: GBR L8C.GVX

Mapcode Global: VHHKM.X47Z

Entry Name: 1, the Green

Listing Date: 22 November 1967

Last Amended: 18 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1331204

English Heritage Legacy ID: 52101

Location: Foxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB22

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Foxton

Built-Up Area: Foxton (South Cambridgeshire)

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Foxton St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Shepreth

Listing Text

TL 4048 FOXTON THE GREEN

(South east side)
18/52 No. 1 (formerly
listed as cottage,
22.11.67 25 yards S. of
Lodge to Foxton
House; and cottage,
on the Green)


GV II


Cottage. 1570 for William Yewell with bay to the west added 1678. The
cottage was further extended at the east end c.1977. Timber framed, restored
plaster rendered and steeply pitched roof, originally thatched, now
pantiled. Brick ridge stack of three linked octagonal shafts, rebuilt. One
storey and attic. Five small casements, modern, on either side of doorway to
lobby entry. Bay to west end added 1678 for John and Mary Rayner. Timber
framed, plaster rendered and tiled. End stack of grouped shafts set
diagonally on square base. Two storeys. Four small casements to front
wall. Inside: 1570 dwelling of two bays. Framing inserted, and exposed
ceiling and wall frame. Abutting red brick inglenook hearths, the jambs
chamfered. Original newel staircase at south side of stack. 1678 bay has
plaster overmantel to small parlour hearth with shaped rear wall and the
letters J.M.R. 1678. Stop chamfered main beam.

Rowland Parker: The Common Stream
R.C.H.M.: Record Card (1950)


Listing NGR: TL4085348072

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.