This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7428 / 51°44'34"N
Longitude: -0.8873 / 0°53'14"W
OS Eastings: 476922
OS Northings: 205487
OS Grid: SP769054
Mapcode National: GBR C28.QGV
Mapcode Global: VHDVH.KGS9
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332033
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46366
Location: Longwick-cum-Ilmer, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27
Civil Parish: Longwick-cum-Ilmer
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Princes Risborough with Ilmer
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 70 NE LONGWICK-CUM-ILMER ILMER
1/95 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Originally C12, rebuilt C14, bell-tower added C16.
Much restored 1860. Coursed rubble stone, old tile roofs. Timber-
framed bell tower with weatherboard cladding and narrow shingled broach
spire is built in W. bay of nave. Nave, bell-tower, N. porch, chancel.
Bell-tower has 2-light traceried wooden openings to N. and S., and
smaller lights to other faces. Nave has single ogee light to W., C15-16
window of 2 cusped lights to N., and 2-light window in blocked chamfered
archway to S. This arch originally gave access to S. transept. S.
doorway, now blocked, has C12 semi-circular arch, one side on moulded
impost. Small N. doorway has double chamfered 2-centred arch with
moulded imposts. Similar arch to porch. Chancel has 2 bays of single
lights, one to N. a lancet, the others with cusped ogee arches, and a
2-light traceried window to E. Interior: bell-tower has heavy timber
framing with curved and cross braces, and moulded arch with carved boss
to nave. C19 wooden chancel,arch and roofs. Chancel has cusped ogee
piscina and window-seat sedile. N.W. window of chancel has clunch
reveals, the lower parts with carved panels showing St. Christopher
and the Trinity. Rood screen is C15-C16, with cusped wooden tracery
on low stone walls. Late CIS panelled pulpit. Octagonal stone font,
possibly C14; C17-C18 wooden cover with ogee arches and finial.
RCHM I p.218-219
Listing NGR: SP7692205487
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings