History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Forty Green Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bledlow-cum-Saunderton, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7233 / 51°43'23"N

Longitude: -0.892 / 0°53'31"W

OS Eastings: 476628

OS Northings: 203312

OS Grid: SP766033

Mapcode National: GBR C2G.WVK

Mapcode Global: VHDVH.HY89

Entry Name: Forty Green Farmhouse

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1332060

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46509

Location: Bledlow-cum-Saunderton, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Bledlow-cum-Saunderton

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Bledlow with Saunderton and Horsenden

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Saunderton

Listing Text

BLEDLOW-CUM-SAUNDERTON FORTY GREEN
SP 70 SE

1/29 Forty Green Farmhouse

21.6.55

- II*


House. Dated 1718 in blue header brick on rear gable, with rebuilt
C17 wing at S. end. Brick, the E. front of brown headers with red
dressings, gauged first floor band and chamfered plinth. C20 wooden
modillion eaves cornice. Hipped old tile roof, brick chimneys.
1718 block is L-plan, with older gabled cross wing forming U-plan.
C20 lobby in rear recess. 2 storeys and attic. E. front has 5
1718 bays with cross windows in 2 left bays and 3-pane sashes to
remainder. These windows all have gauged brick heads, those to
ground floor segmental, those to first floor with shaped flat arches.
3 C20 dormers with paired leaded casements and moulded pediments,
the centre window with segmental pediment. Central 6-panel door with
fine original hinges, rectangular fanlight and moulded architrave
frame. Outer doorcase is C20 with shell hood on carved scroll brackets.
Lower gabled wing to left projects slightly and is of red and vitreous
brick with first floor band course and blue diapers in gables. E gable
has cross casements with segmental heads and C20 paired leaded
casement to attic. C20 conservatory to left. Weatherboard cart-shed
to right of E. front. W. gable of 1718 block has cross casements to
main floors and staircase. Interior: rooms in N.E. corner have mid
C18 pine panelling with moulded cornices and raised and fielded
overmantel panels. In ground floor room panelling can be opened to
left of fireplace to reveal arched china cupboard with shaped shelves,
painted cherubs in upper spandrels, and lower marbled section with
segmental arch. Upper room has stone fireplace with roll-moulding
to inner edge. Early-mid C18 staircase has turned balusters, moulded
handrail and finials, and a panelled string. Old board and panelled
doors.


Listing NGR: SP7662803312

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.