This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6606 / 51°39'38"N
Longitude: -0.9009 / 0°54'3"W
OS Eastings: 476122
OS Northings: 196333
OS Grid: SU761963
Mapcode National: GBR C37.T83
Mapcode Global: VHDVW.BJL9
Entry Name: Tippings
Listing Date: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332064
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46631
Location: Stokenchurch, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14
Civil Parish: Stokenchurch
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stokenchurch
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
STOKENCHURCH THE COMMON
SU 79 NE
House, formerly school with master's lodging. Founded 1675 by
Bartholomew Tipping for 12 boys, enlarged 1728 by Thomas Delafield,
schoolmaster. Later alterations. Flint and brick, the front rendered and
colourwashed. Hipped tile roof, flanking brick chimneys. 2 storeys,
2 bays. Tall paired barred wooden casements, 3 to first floor, one to
ground floor right. C20 5-light bow window to left. Central C20 door
with old rectangular fanlight in gabled porch with 4-centred arch.
Flint and brick lean-to to left, rendered lean-to to right. Rear wall
of original front range has quoins and first floor band course of narrow
brick. Rear wing, forming L-plan, is dated TD 1728 on tie beam, and has
lean-to in angle with front wing. Interior has large fireplace with chamfered
brick arch in right room.
(M.S. of Thomas Delafield, Bodleian Library, Cough Oxon 47).
Listing NGR: SU7612296333
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings