History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chipps Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Piddington and Wheeler End, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6367 / 51°38'12"N

Longitude: -0.8408 / 0°50'26"W

OS Eastings: 480322

OS Northings: 193738

OS Grid: SU803937

Mapcode National: GBR C3P.B8H

Mapcode Global: VHDW3.C4W3

Entry Name: Chipps Manor

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Last Amended: 22 January 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1332101

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46846

Location: Piddington and Wheeler End, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP14

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Piddington and Wheeler End

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Lane End

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bradenham

Listing Text

SU 89 SW WEST WYCOMBE RURAL CHIPPS HILL
(WHEELER END)

4/194 Chipps Manor (formerly
listed as Chipps Farmhouse)

21.6.55
II*

House. Dated IB 1733 in raised brick over door; late C16 rear wing.
Main block is of brick with flint and brick rear wall, hipped old tile
roof and brick chimneys to rear. 2 storeys and cellars, 5 bays. Front is
of vitreous header brick with red brick quoins and window surrounds. Plinth,
moulded and gauged first floor band course, moulded and gauged cornice with
alternating dentils and darts, moulded brick parapet with stone urns to
corners. 3-pane sash windows with gauged brick heads, the brick sills on
brackets with guttae. Central first floor window has shaped head and
shaped apron. Central 6-panelled door, renewed, in architrave frame, with
gauged head shaped over date figures, and wooden cornice hood on carved scroll
brackets. Later flint and brick walls to left-and front-of front garden, with
stone urns on corner piers. Right side has 2 matching bays of sash
windows, with cellar openings below; left side is of chequer brick with
off-set eaves and later wooden dovecote. Lower wing to rear has timber
framing with brick infill to upper storey, the N.W. side with arched
braces. Ground floor rebuilt in brick, old tile roof. 2 storeys, 2 bays
of barred wooden casements. Interior: 1733 block has contemporary
panelling and boxed cornices in rooms to ground floor and first floor
right, the lower room also having a contemporary fireplace and arched
china cupboard with shaped shelves and painted festoons on half-dome.
Central staircase with turned balusters and shaped scrolls to string.
Older wing has arched and ogee wind-braces, queen strut roof, massive
spine beam, and first floor fireplace with 4-centred arch of chamfered
brick.


Listing NGR: SU8032293738

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.