History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Isabel Cottage the Old Crown House

A Grade II Listed Building in Hambleden, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6053 / 51°36'19"N

Longitude: -0.8817 / 0°52'54"W

OS Eastings: 477539

OS Northings: 190197

OS Grid: SU775901

Mapcode National: GBR C40.CVY

Mapcode Global: VHDW2.NXQ8

Entry Name: Isabel Cottage the Old Crown House

Listing Date: 21 June 1955

Last Amended: 22 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1332110

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46780

Location: Hambleden, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, RG9

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Hambleden

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Hambleden with Frieth

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Turville

Listing Text

SU 79 SE HAMBLEDEN SKIRMETT

3/130 The Old Crown House and Isabel
Cottage (formerly listed as
Cottage (formerly Crown Inn) and
Cottage adjoining former Crown
Inn).
21.6.55

GV II


Two houses. Originally C15-C16, altered C17 and later. Externally rebuilt
in flint and brick with dentil eaves, the front roughcast and whitewashed.
Old tile roof, central brick chimney with off-set top. One storey and
attic, 4 bays, the left bay a C19 extension. Left bays have C20 paired
barred wooden casements. Third bay has C20 bow window and paired leaded
casement above. All upper windows are in dormer gables. C20 board door
between left bays, with flat hood on wooden brackets. Early C19 gabled
extension projects infront of right bay. This is of whitewashed flint and
brick with narrow dentil eaves, and has C20 casements and glazed door in
left side. Other extensions to right. Interior: right bay has flanking
cruck trusses, the blades terminating above the collars, and heavy
longitudinal floor joists; stack with lintel dated 1618 is inserted between
main posts of central spere truss; spere posts have shaped jowls;
original purlins.
(RCHM I p. 188 Mon. 24).


Listing NGR: SU7753990197

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.