This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.606 / 51°36'21"N
Longitude: -0.7015 / 0°42'5"W
OS Eastings: 490019
OS Northings: 190486
OS Grid: SU900904
Mapcode National: GBR D5L.9GM
Mapcode Global: VHDW5.SWHP
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 8 January 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332132
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46906
Location: Chepping Wycombe, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP11
Civil Parish: Chepping Wycombe
Built-Up Area: High Wycombe
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Loudwater
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHEPPING WYCOMBE STATION ROAD
SU 99 SW
3/22 Church of St. Peter
Parish church, formerly chapel of ease. Nave is 1788-90, with S. projection
added 1804, N. projection 1835, chancel and vestries 1901-3 by G.H.
Fellowes Prynne, and C20 W. porch. Older parts are of red and vitreous
brick with slate roofs; chancel and vestries are of red brick with stone
dressings and tiled roof W. end of nave has gabled brick porch. N. and
S. sides have projections, each with 2 hipped roof spurs and 3-bay fenestration.
Semi-circular arched windows with lunettes above, all leaded. N. projection
has gauged window arches, moulded brick eaves and 2 C20 brick buttresses;
S. projection has dentil eaves and ungauged arches. Chancel is in
Perpendicular style with cusped lancets to N. and S., and 5-light traceried
E. window with 4-centred arch. Stone hoodmoulds with carved foliage stops.
Vestries in similar style with traceried windows, the N. vestry now used
as chapel. Interior: N., S., and W., sides of nave have 2-storey wooden
colonnades and galleries with panelled balustrades. Doric columns.
Plaster ceiling cornice with acanthus, rosette and modillion ornament.
Triple chamfered chancel arch, segmental arches to N. and S. vestries. Low
pierced stone screen to chancel.
(Home Counties Magazine, Vol. III, 1901)
Listing NGR: SU9001990486
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings