History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Duffields

A Grade II Listed Building in Medmenham, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.551 / 51°33'3"N

Longitude: -0.8398 / 0°50'23"W

OS Eastings: 480539

OS Northings: 184206

OS Grid: SU805842

Mapcode National: GBR C4N.QGZ

Mapcode Global: VHDWH.D8DV

Entry Name: Duffields

Listing Date: 8 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1332148

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46998

Location: Medmenham, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Medmenham

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Medmenham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Hurley

Listing Text

MEDMENHAM FERRY LANE
SU 88 SW
(west side)
Duffields
8/114
-
- II
House. Late C17-early C18 cottage, extended c.1900-1905 by Sir
Reginald Blomfield. Cottage has timber frame of slight scantling with
straight angle braces to front and curved braces to gables. Thin
brick infill to front and left gable, rendered infill to right gable
and rear. Old tile roof, brick chimney to right. One storey and
attic, 2 bays. Left bay has paired wooden casements, the upper
window in gabled eaves-line dormer; right bay blind. Half-timbered
single storey extension to right. Entry via c.1900 extension to rear
left. This extension is a large L-plan building with red brick
ground floor, tile-hung upper storey and plain-tile roof. 2 storeys,
gabled projection to left. Leaded casements, central panelled door
with moulded and shaped cornice hood on Doric half-columns. Extension
built as village institute as gift of Mr. H.E. Kearley of Wittington.
(A.H. Plaisted, The Romance of a Chiltern Village, 1958, p.164)


Listing NGR: SU8053984206

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.