History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lord's Wood

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Marlow, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.579 / 51°34'44"N

Longitude: -0.8111 / 0°48'39"W

OS Eastings: 482480

OS Northings: 187351

OS Grid: SU824873

Mapcode National: GBR D5M.ZQY

Mapcode Global: VHDW9.WKKW

Entry Name: Lord's Wood

Listing Date: 8 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1332156

English Heritage Legacy ID: 46929

Location: Great Marlow, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Great Marlow

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Great Marlow with Marlow Bottom, Little Marlow and Bisham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Marlow

Listing Text

GREAT MARLOW MARLOW COMMON
SU 88 NW
4/45 Lord's Wood
-
- II
House. 1899-1900. For Mrs. Mary Sargant-Florence, artist. Built by
Streatfield. Red brick, wooden eaves on shaped brackets, hipped roof of
Westmorland slate, brick chimneys. Queen Anne Style. Double pile. 2 storeys
and attic, 5 bays, the outer bays slightly advanced. Moulded first floor
band course, plain brick pilasters. Barred metal casements, each light
with 2 opening half-lights and curved metal stays. Outer bays have
3-light casements, inner bays have 2-light casements. Gauged brick
heads with off-set keyblocks to ground floor windows. Centre bay has
Ipswich window to first floor, with pilaster jambs, architrave and keyblock,
and panelled door in hipped porch with fluted pilasters and arched niches.
2 flat-roofed 3-light dormers. Right end has continuous row of lights to
first floor; left end is of 2 bays with bow windows to ground floor,
glazed doors in Ipswich window style above, and first floor balcony with
wooden railings. Interior altered but originally designed to have bare
brick walls, no doors and no plumbing. Later home of Alix and James
Strachey (brother of Lytton Strachey) who translated complete works of
Sigmund Freud.
(Country Life 1973 Nov, 15th p 1579-1584.)


Listing NGR: SU8248087351

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.