History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cores End United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Wooburn, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5772 / 51°34'37"N

Longitude: -0.6972 / 0°41'49"W

OS Eastings: 490378

OS Northings: 187284

OS Grid: SU903872

Mapcode National: GBR D5Z.4JT

Mapcode Global: VHDWC.VMT9

Entry Name: Cores End United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 8 January 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1332177

English Heritage Legacy ID: 47051

Location: Wooburn, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL8

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Wycombe

Civil Parish: Wooburn

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Bourne End

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Bourne End

Listing Text

WOOBURN CORES END ROAD
SU 98 NW
6/168 Cores End United Reformed
Church
-
- II
Church. 1804, enlarged and reseated 1881 for the Rev. C. Talbot,
Minister, as recorded on plaque. Brick, with slate roof. Entrance bay
is completely of 1881 and has rendered plinth, dado rail, impost band,
entablature, parapet and pediment. Rendered pilasters with acanthus
caps mark angles and 3-bay blind portico. Central bay of portico has
architrave arched over semi-circular headed 3-light window with
roundel tracery. Double doors below in gabled porch with semi-circular
fanlight and architrave arch on piers with acanthus caps. Flanking
bays of portico have lower 2-light windows with architrave arches and
keyblocks, and rendered aprons with oval inscription tablets recording
history of the building. Ball finials to parapet. Beyond entrance bay
is 1804 block, of red and vitreous brick with dentil eaves. This has
4 bays of semi-circular arched windows with altered glazing. At far
end are late C19 extensions with meeting rooms and lobby. Interior
retains original far wall with arched windows, now blind, flanking
arched niche. Otherwise refitted 1881, the gallery and reading
desk with ornamental cast iron balustrades. 2 stained glass windows
of 1905. C19 marble tablets to former rectors, 1809, 1831 and 1856.


Listing NGR: SU9037887284

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.