This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5701 / 51°34'12"N
Longitude: -0.7753 / 0°46'31"W
OS Eastings: 484978
OS Northings: 186399
OS Grid: SU849863
Mapcode National: GBR D5W.GST
Mapcode Global: VHDWB.JS0R
Entry Name: 74 and 76, High Street
Listing Date: 16 July 1949
Last Amended: 16 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332408
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46229
Location: Marlow, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, SL7
Civil Parish: Marlow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Marlow with Marlow Bottom, Little Marlow and Bisham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
In the entry for:
(south west side)
No 74 (Brewery Offices)
The address and description shall be amended to read:
(south west side)
Nos 74 and 76 (formerly
listed as No 74 (Brewery
No 74. House, now offices. Mid C18. Flemish bond brick; hipped old plain roof;
brick end stacks. Double-depth plan. Mid Georgian style. 3 storeys; 5-window
range. Porch with Doric columns and entablature to left: C20 door with overlight
and flanking strip lights, set in reeded architrave with roundels. Gauged brick
flat arches over early C19 tripartite sash to ground-floor right and over 12-pane
sashes. Raised sill band over porch; moulded brick cornice. Early C19 canted bay
with sashes to rear right. C18 2-storey ranges to rear, of Flemish bond brick with
gabled concrete tile roofs and brick ridge stacks: first range has 1758 datestone,
segmental brick arches over early Cl9 6-panelled (4-glazed) door and mid C19
horizontal-sliding sash with glazing bars and timber lintel over C19 paired 12-pane
sashes; range to rear has bracketed early C19 hood over 6-panelled beaded door set
in beaded architrave, segmental brick arch over mid C19 5-light window with glazing
bars and inserted C20 door, and C18 5-light casement with leaded lights. Interior:
mid C18 dog-leg staircase with landing, having panelled dado and moulded handrail
set on turned balusters. Early C19 panelled doors and shutters; early C19 reeded
architraves and cornices to first floor; mid C18 2-panelled doors and reset C17
panelling to second floor. No 76 to left: Early C19. Flemish bond brick; hipped
Welsh slate roof. Late Georgian style. 1-storey, 3-window range front. Gauged
brick flat arches, with cambered soffits, over large late C19 plate-glass windows
each with patterned glazing bars to top and frosted glass with lettering 'THOMAS
WETHERED AND SONS/LIMITED' to bottom: windows are set in revealed surrounds,
defined by raised plinth, pilasters and frieze beneath carved stone bracketed
cornice; cyma-moulded gutter. To rear are similar brick arches over two 9-pane
sashes and similar bracketed eaves. Interior: entry from No 74 (qv) to large room
with fine early C19 classical fireplace, enriched plaster frieze and ceiling boss.
(South West Side)
SU 8486 1/28 16.7.49.
C18 house. 3 storeys. Brick with stucco string on 1st floor level.
Moulded and bracketed cornice. Hipped old tile roof. 5 bay front.
Glazing altered on 2nd floor. Large 3 light window right hand. Doorway
on left hand with modern glazed door, plain rectangular fanlight and
narrow side lights, framed with panelled pilasters, corner rounded
ornament, under stone Doric porch of 2 columns, entablatures and blocking
course, approached by 2 moulded stone steps. This house is connected to
No 72 by wood covered bridge at 1st floor levels - 2 windows in the bridge
with octagonal glazing. Early C20 block to left hand of one storey and
dark red brick. 3 window bays divided by pilasters with large window.
Eaves cornice, slate roof.
Nos 72, 74, 78 and 80 form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8497886399
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings