This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6218 / 51°37'18"N
Longitude: -0.5506 / 0°33'2"W
OS Eastings: 500436
OS Northings: 192434
OS Grid: TQ004924
Mapcode National: GBR F6X.CM2
Mapcode Global: VHFSQ.DHSL
Entry Name: Passmore Edwards House at the National Society for Epilepsy
Listing Date: 30 July 1984
Last Amended: 27 August 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332525
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44773
Location: Chalfont St. Peter, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, SL9
Civil Parish: Chalfont St. Peter
Built-Up Area: Gerrards Cross
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Chalfont St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
CHALFONT ST PETER
Passmore Edwards House at the National Society for Epilepsy
(Formerly listed as:
PASSMORE EDWARDS HOUSE, CHALFONT CENTRE
Administration block for the National Society of Epileptics. 1903-4 to the designs of Charles Grieve. Red brick with tile hanging to first floor, tiled hipped roof with projecting timber-framed gables. The original plan was an `L¿-shaped, two-storey building with offices and stores on the ground floor and bedrooms above; since extended. Three bay front with projecting windows and central entrance porch. This has a segmental pediment projecting from the bay above with squat columns and a frieze bearing the date 1904. Central door under arched head in timber and glass surround. Timber casements to ground floor, uPVC units above. Extensions to side and rear not of special interest.
The administrative block was named after Passmore Edwards, a noted architectural patron in the 1890s and the principal benefactor of the former Chalfont Colony founded in 1894 to give a normal, healthy village life to epileptics. The colony pioneered the concept of a village community for mental patients, which was widely adopted, firstly for other epileptics and in the inter-war period for other mental disabilities. Passmore Edwards is best known as the proprietor of the Building News, a magazine that supported the Arts and Crafts Movement, and for building public libraries. Passmore Edwards House lies in a prominent, central position at the core of the site, as befits its status. The buildings at the Chalfont Centre form an important group, for their historic interest in the treatment of epilepsy and as examples, if altered, of Arts and Crafts architecture designed to give a domestic feel to a hospital institution.
Royal Commission on the Historical Monuments of England, unpublished report NBR no.100291.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings