This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7554 / 51°45'19"N
Longitude: -1.0356 / 1°2'8"W
OS Eastings: 466662
OS Northings: 206745
OS Grid: SP666067
Mapcode National: GBR B0K.WGW
Mapcode Global: VHDVF.04CM
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332552
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43298
Location: Shabbington, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Shabbington
Built-Up Area: Shabbington
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Shabbington
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 60 NE SHABBINGTON MILL ROAD
5/357 Parish Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Parts of nave and chancel circa 1100. Chancel remodelled
c1340. Nave windows c1340, mostly restored, late C15 west tower.
Limestone rubble with dressed quoins. North wall of nave has much
cllOO herringbone rubble. Old tile roofs. Two bay chancel, 4 bay nave,
west tower, and C19 north porch. Chancel has 3-light east window with
intersecting tracery. East bay has window of 2 trefoiled lights with
a quatrefoil and tracery. Y tracery to south west window. North west
has low side window cills,chamfered jambs and square head. Nave has
two 2-light windows, the north east one with moulded caps to nook
shafts and moulded rere arch inside. Doorways between, the north one with
evidence of c1100 round arched doorway above. Chancel and nave north walls
with herringbone coursing. West tower of one stage with 2 sloping west
buttresses. Diagonal stair turret at south west. Embattled parapet.
West door and west window of 3 cinquefoiled lights and tracery. Ringing
chamber has small square-headed windows. Bell chamber has 2-light
square headed windows. Interior: Chancel has C19 panelled wagon roof
with wall-posts on heavy stone corbels. C18 wall tablets on west wall
above chancel arch of 2 continuous square chamfered orders. Herringbone
masonry on north part of chancel west wall. 4 bay C15 nave roof has moulded
wall plate 4 rough tie beams and queen posts. At east end a short bay has
2 cambered tie beams with wall brackets and curved braces, probably to form
canopy over the Rood. Boarded at a lower level than the rest of the
roof. Font. Plain octagonal bowl on tapering stem. C14? Piscina in
chancel with cinque foil head, stone shaft, original drain. C15. Pulpit
dated 1626. Hexagonal with plain moulded panels. Simple carved frieze.
Arms of George III on south wall. Raised and fielded panelling to walls of
nave to dado level. Screen in tower arch of C17 panelling.
RCHM I. 277. MON.1.
Listing NGR: SP6666206745
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings