This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5349 / 51°32'5"N
Longitude: -0.6488 / 0°38'55"W
OS Eastings: 493814
OS Northings: 182645
OS Grid: SU938826
Mapcode National: GBR F7R.QRS
Mapcode Global: VHFT1.PPV5
Entry Name: Britwell House
Listing Date: 27 August 1980
Last Amended: 24 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332654
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43807
Location: Burnham, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, SL1
District: South Bucks
Civil Parish: Burnham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Burnham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 98 SW BURNHAM BRITWELL ROAD
7/186 Britwell House (formerly
listed as Britwell House
27.8.80 (House of Prayer)
C18 house greatly enlarged in C19 on 3 sides. Brick with stone dressings and
plain tile roofs. On the entrance front one end of the C18 house is visible,
2 storey with C19 neo-Jacobean porch and 2 sash windows above. Hipped roof.
To the right a wing of C1870 of 3 storeys, 4 bays divided by brick buttresses,
the upper floor windows Gothic pairs divided by a colonette. Attached and
returning is a further addition of C1900, of 2 tall storeys with tripartite
windows and Portland stone ornamental matching panel and oval window. The
garden front is of at least two dates, the left side has foundation stone 'laid
by Lady Grenville 1864 in her 93rd year', the right side has date placque 1895.
Each side has a Jacobean style gable. On the West end of the house is a slim
tower with pyramid roof. Attached to right end is a fine chapel of 1935 by
Ninian Comper, built for the House of Prayer that occupied the house until 1982.
Purple brick with stone dressings combining classical form, pedimental gables
and moulded eaves with very late Gothic detail to the tracery. White plaster
interior similarly mixing classic and Gothic. Fine baldacchino. Britwell
House belonged to the Earl of Orrery 1713-34 and to the Christie-Miller family
through the C19 (VCH).
Listing NGR: SU9381482645
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings