This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5289 / 51°31'43"N
Longitude: -0.6909 / 0°41'27"W
OS Eastings: 490909
OS Northings: 181918
OS Grid: SU909819
Mapcode National: GBR F7X.04X
Mapcode Global: VHDWK.ZT3V
Entry Name: Taplow House Hotel
Listing Date: 13 November 1973
Last Amended: 26 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332734
English Heritage Legacy ID: 44242
Location: Taplow, South Bucks, Buckinghamshire, SL6
District: South Bucks
Civil Parish: Taplow
Built-Up Area: Taplow
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Taplow
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 98 SW TAPLOW BERRY HILL
7/646 Taplow House Hotel
(formerly listed as
13.11.73 Taplow House)
Built 1751. Altered about 1800 and later, some of the later work being c1840 by
Basevi for Lord Thomond; 2 storeys plus attic. Brick partly painted white.
Entrance front severely plain with crenellated brick parapet. C19 sash windows
and a large mid C19 Roman cement Doric columned porte cochere. Ground floor
built out. Two-storey wings to right and left in similar style. Rainwater head
dated 1751. Garden front with two C18 rainwater heads one inscribed '1743 RS'.
Two-storey brick canted bay windows, with battlements, with a central feature
in Roman cement in Tudor style with, on ground floor, a canted bay window.
Wings to right and left; conservatory on left. Terrace wall of stock brick with
shallow buttresses, stairs and wrought iron railings. Interior has entrance
hall with Doric columns probably by Basevi; dining room said to have been built
in 1800 for Pascoe Grenfell but subsequently altered. Staircase with elaborate
chiselled brass balusters probably mid C19. HISTORY: The house appears to have
been mentioned first in 1598. In 1628 it was given by James I to Hampson, 1st
governor of Virginia. Sir Thomas Lawrence records dining here.
Listing NGR: SU9090981918
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings