This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8833 / 51°52'59"N
Longitude: -1.0175 / 1°1'3"W
OS Eastings: 467720
OS Northings: 220985
OS Grid: SP677209
Mapcode National: GBR 9Z1.TVF
Mapcode Global: VHDTN.9XYM
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332808
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42458
Location: Grendon Underwood, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Grendon Underwood
Built-Up Area: Grendon Underwood
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Grendon Underwood
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 62 SE GRENDON UNDERWOOD EDGCOTT ROAD
1/77 Church of St. Leonard
Parish church. C12-C13 nave with early C13 S. door and C15 alterations,
late 013-early C14 chancel, C15 W. tower, restored 1866 and 1902.
Coursed rubble stone, the nave partly with slobbered rendering. Lead
roofs to nave and tower, tiled chancel. W. tower of 2 stages has moulded
plinth, battlemented parapet, diagonal buttresses and stair turret at
S.E. corner. 2-light traceried openings to bell chamber with small
cusped windows below to N. and S. W. side has 3-light cusped window and
door in 4-centred arch with cusped spandrels. Nave has moulded ashlar
parapet, moulded plinth to part of S. wall and off-set buttresses.
2 2-light windows to N., one with Y tracery, the other with cusped
lights. S. wall mostly rebuilt C15 with 2 3-light windows. Early C13
S. doorway, much worn, has moulded arch, the outer order with fragments
of elaborate fleurons and stiff leaf capitals, the shafts missing.
Hoodmould with worn carved head stops, wrought iron lamp bracket above.
Chancel has 3 windows with Y tracery to S., one to N., and C19 5-light
traceried window to E. Early C20 N. vestry. Interior: moulded tower
arch. C15 nave roof with moulded purlins and tie beams, the tie beams
on curved braces with cusped tracery in spandrels. Cusped piscina in
S. wall. Continuously double chamfered arch to chancel. Chancel has
moulded sill course and window arches. Large cusped piscina with finials,
the left finial removed to make way for monument. Fittings: C15
octagonal font, reworked; early C17 hexagonal pulpit with arcaded panels;
other fittings C19. Monuments: marble wall monument to John Pigott
of Doddershall, J.P., d.1751, signed P. Scheemakers, with carved figure
of deceased in a toga semi-reclining below medallion portrait of his
dead son, the rear panel with surround of fluted Corinthian pilasters
and broken pediment; pair of coloured marble wall monuments flanking
altar, to Christobella Viscountess Saye and Sele 1789 and her second
husband Richard Fiennes 1781, each with dado, fan motifs flanking oval
inscription panel, and obelisk with carved figure and an urn; marble wall
tablet to Harriet Lamb 1785; other C18 oval inscription panels.
RCHM II p. 130-131.
Listing NGR: SP6772020985
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings