This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7827 / 51°46'57"N
Longitude: -0.7252 / 0°43'30"W
OS Eastings: 488033
OS Northings: 210108
OS Grid: SP880101
Mapcode National: GBR D3F.3HB
Mapcode Global: VHDVD.CGY6
Entry Name: Halton House
Listing Date: 11 October 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332843
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42653
Location: Halton, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Halton
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Halton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 81 SE HALTON UPPER ICKNIELD WAY
5/83 Halton House
Country House. Since 1919 RAF Officer's Mess. 1881-3 by W.R. Rogers
of Cubitts for Alfred de Rothschild. French Renaissance style, ashlar
stone with steep slated roofs, iron crestings and finials, chimneys with
cornices and pediment caps. Segmental pedimented dormers and oval windows
to central bays, large open domed cupola to centre of garden front.
2-storeys and attic, engaged Doric columns to ground floor with triglyph
frieze. Metopes carved with Rothschild insignia; cornice and balustrades.
Ionic order to 1st floor with sections of cornice. Bays flanking centre
have pilaster order. Entrance and garden fronts both of six bays, the 3 outer
in half-octagonal turrets, central bay with full height pedimented
frontispiece, with porche-cochene to ground floor of Entrance front. Tall
plate glass casements, those to ground floor with semicircular arched heads.
Carved panels over windows on S.E. tower. Attached terrace on Garden front
with stone steps, balustraded with urns. 1-storey block at E. end linked to
lower service wing, 1-storey and attic, in matching style. 1-storey
modern dining room extension on N. side. Former winter garden at W. end
demolished 1937 and replaced by officers quarters by Vincent Harris.
Ashlar stone with slate roof, 3 storeys square block, 8 bays to each front,
attic windows with oval heads and cills. Interior: Great central 2-storey
hall and staircase surrounded by state rooms all decorated in gilt
plasterwork of great elaboration. Iron stair balustrade and balcony fronts
to hall. Marble chimneypieces in all rooms. Billiard room lined with
polished wood panelling. Gold room in Moorish style with gilt ceiling, arches,
doorcases and dado. Winter Garden corridor with white stone columns and
niches. History said to be first house built for electric lighting.
Early example of hot air central heating. (see"Beechwoods and Bayonets, The
Book of Halton" A.E. Adam, Buckingham 1983).
Listing NGR: SP8803310108
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings