This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8045 / 51°48'16"N
Longitude: -0.8481 / 0°50'53"W
OS Eastings: 479519
OS Northings: 212390
OS Grid: SP795123
Mapcode National: GBR C1K.VSS
Mapcode Global: VHDV4.8X01
Entry Name: Stable Block and Coachhouse South West of Hartwell House
Listing Date: 29 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1332845
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42660
Location: Stone with Bishopstone and Hartwell, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP17
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Stone with Bishopstone and Hartwell
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Stone with Dinton and Hartwell
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 71 SE HARTWELL HARTWELL
3/90 Stable Block and Coachhouse
S.W. of Hartwell House
Stable Block and attached coachhouse. C18 altered, possibly incorporating
the stables attributed to Gibbs shown in the Nebot paintings in the
County Museum. Central arch by Henry Keene 1759, replacing earlier portico.
Rubble stone with ashlar dressings. Old tile roof. 2-storey cottage to
north of archway, 2 storey with lofts to south. West front has archway to
LH of centre in projecting bay with impost band and cornice with parapet
above. Large semicircular arch with alternate voussoirs vermiculated. 2
bays of 4 pane wide sash windows and door to LH. Stables to RH with 5
round headed windows and 2 doors, pedimented loft entrance in 4th bay from
archway with keyblock dated 1873. East front has similar opening to
archway but with concave surround. 3 light venetian windows each side
and 6 sash windows with heavy glazing bars and leaded panes under flat
moulded cornices with moulded architraves. Within the carriage arch
are four 8-panel doors with deeply moulded architraves and pediments.
Shallow groin vaulted plaster ceiling to archway. Coachhouse range to
south, also stone with tiled roof, N. side has 4 large segmental headed
carriage door openings flanked by 2 smaller doors.
Listing NGR: SP7951912390
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings