History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clock Tower with Attached Wall and Drinking Fountain

A Grade II Listed Building in Wendover, Buckinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7629 / 51°45'46"N

Longitude: -0.7412 / 0°44'28"W

OS Eastings: 486973

OS Northings: 207888

OS Grid: SP869078

Mapcode National: GBR D3L.KFD

Mapcode Global: VHDVD.3YJD

Entry Name: Clock Tower with Attached Wall and Drinking Fountain

Listing Date: 11 October 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1332853

English Heritage Legacy ID: 42816

Location: Wendover, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP22

County: Buckinghamshire

District: Aylesbury Vale

Civil Parish: Wendover

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Wendover

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Wendover

Listing Text

SP 8607, SP 8707 WENDOVER HIGH STREET
south side
10/242
11/242 Clock Tower with attached
wall and drinking fountain
GV II
Clock tower 1843, with alterations and turret of 1870;altered 1985
Square in planj3-stagesjground floor chequer brick with gothic arched
doorway to W. side,window to N.land similar arched blank niches
containing stone roundels to other sides. Tiled pyramid roof, with dentil
brick eaves, and small triangular dormers to S. and E. sides, rising to
base of clock turret, red brick with arched recesses containing clock
faces and paired ventilator slits below. Stone plaques recording Parish
Council owning the clock 1842, erection of tower by Abel Smith Esq., Lord
of this Manor 1842 and rebuilding of 1870. Chamfered string at clock face
level, tiled pyramid roof with dentil eaves, with wooden bell turret
above having tiled spirelet and finial. Attached on the S. side is
a low red brick wall with stone dressings and a drinking fountain with
stone bowl in gothic arched recess. History; the building was originally
designed to house the parish fire engine. Interior adapted to Tourist
Office 1985.


Listing NGR: SP8697307888

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.