History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bumpit

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lynsted with Kingsdown, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3164 / 51°18'59"N

Longitude: 0.7967 / 0°47'48"E

OS Eastings: 594991

OS Northings: 161193

OS Grid: TQ949611

Mapcode National: GBR RTN.J7S

Mapcode Global: VHKJT.R5KN

Entry Name: Bumpit

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Last Amended: 21 March 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334371

English Heritage Legacy ID: 176246

Location: Lynsted with Kingsdown, Swale, Kent, ME9

County: Kent

District: Swale

Civil Parish: Lynsted with Kingsdown

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Find accommodation in
Teynham

Listing Text

In the following item:-

LYNSTED BOGLE ROAD
2/36
(South Side)
Bumpit (Formerly listed
as Bumpit Farm Cottages)

The description should be amended to read:-

House. C15 and C16, dated 1587. Timber framed and exposed with plaster infill, and
part clad in red brick, with plain tiled roofs. L-shaped plan, the main range of 3
framed bays and screens passage, added and built into an earlier hall house, now
only of 2 framed bays and used after 1587 as service wing. West (entrance) front:
2 storeys and garret on basement. Small panel framing. Stack to rear centre right.
Irregular fenestration of 2 wood casements on first floor and 3 on ground floor,
with blocked mullioned lights visible on both floors. Plank and stud door to left
in carved and moulded fourcentred arched surround. Right return front: clad with
red brick, with plinth, plat band, and carved wooden triglyph frieze to gable.
Left return front: large panel framing with tension braces. Part clad with red
brick to left in C15 wing. Interior: main range with 3 cell and screens passage,
the hall always of 1 storey, stack away from screens passage with newel stair and
through passage to parlour. Some structural evidence for now lost 2 storey porch
over screens passage entry, and end right bay possible later addition. Staggered
purlin roof. Wall paintings: in parlour, concealed by C18 pine panelling, trompe l'oeil
wainscotting of c1605, brush-grained to imitate pine, with stencilled arabesques, dado
rail, surmounted by landscape scenes, and above this more panelling, certainly in a
different style and possibly later in date. In the Hall: C16 fireplace of moulded
brick painted with red ochre and marbled to resemble stone; opening 8 feet wide;
in the spandrels the Crest of the Ropers of Lynsted Lodge (the owners of the house
in 1587),a black lion rampant holding a golden coronet on a silver ground. Sir
John Roper was the great nephew by marriage of Sir Thomas More. Above is a finely
executed wall painting of the Royal Coat of Arms supported by the English lion and
the Welsh dragon of the Tudors, with a free flowing design of fruit, flowers and
birds in the background. (See Trudy West,"The Fireplace in the Home", David and
Charles 1976, pp45-48 which has a full page illustration). An upstairs room with
painting over the fireplace with unreadable inscription and 2 figures, a woman
praying before a lectern to left, and a man in similar position-- to right, with relics
of a frieze, cartouche and other figures. The fireplace is polychromed with carved
flowers in geometric shapes on lintel. Painted acanthus frieze around room.
Another upstairs room with Grotesque figures of female masks, birds, lions, foliage,
with painted billet frieze and inscription "If in God's might you now begin, then
shall not the Devil move thee to sin". The name Bumpit derives from Geoffrey de
Bonnepette and a house on the site is first mentioned in the Subsidy Rolls of 1254.
Later belonging to the Ropers of Lynsted Lodge, it is dated (1587 W C) on post at top
right of west front. Used in C18 as parish workhouse. (See reports prepared for
HBC 4.6.69/23.2.70, and E Selby, Teynham Manor and Hundred, 1982, 78).

------------------------------------

TQ 95 SW LYNSTED BOGLE ROAD
(south side)

2/36 Bumpit (Formerly listed as
Bumpit Farm Cottages)

24.1.67 II*

House. C15 and C16, dated 1587. Timber framed and exposed with plaster
infill, and part clad in red brick, with plain tiled roofs. L-shaped plan,
the main range of 3 framed bays and screens passage, added and built into
an earlier hall house, now only of 2 framed bays and used after 1587 as
service wing. West (entrance) front: 2 storeys and garret on basement.
Small panel framing. Stack to rear centre right. Irregular fenestration
of 2 wood casements on first floor and 3 on ground floor, with blocked
mullioned lights visible on both floors. Plank and stud door to left in
carved and moulded four centred arched surround. Right return front:
clad with red brick, with plinth, plat band, and carved wooden triglyph
frieze to gable. Left return front: large panel framing with tension braces.
Part clad with red brick to left in C15 wing. Interior: main range with
3 cell and screens passage, the hall always of 1 storey, stack away from
screens passage with newel stair and through passage to parlour. Some
structural evidence for now lost 2 storey porch over screens passage entry,
and end right bay possible later addition. Staggered purlin roof.
Wall paintings:in parlour, concealed by C18 pine panelling, C16 trompe l'
oeuil wainscotting, brush-grained to imitate pine, with stencilled
arabesques, dado rail, surmounted by landscape scenes, and above this
more panelling, certainly in a different style and possibly later in date.
An upstairs room with painting over the fireplace with unreadable inscription,
and 2 figures, a woman praying before a lectern to left, and a man in
similar position to right, with relics of a frieze, cartouche and other
figures. The fireplace is polychromed with carved flowers in geometric
shapes on lintel. Painted acanthus frieze around room. Another upstairs
room with Grotesque figures of female masks, birds, lions, foliage, with
painted billet frieze and inscription "If in God's might you now begin,
then shall not the Devil move thee to sin". Although said to be connected
to the Popers of Lynsted Lodge, the house is dated (1587) on post at top right
of west front. Used in C18 as parish workhouse. (W C )
(See reports prepared for HBC 4.6.69/23.2.70 and E. Selby, Teynham Manor
and Hundred, 1982, 78).


Listing NGR: TQ9499161193

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.