History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ashe Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Ash, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8895 / 52°53'22"N

Longitude: -1.6134 / 1°36'48"W

OS Eastings: 426108

OS Northings: 332520

OS Grid: SK261325

Mapcode National: GBR 5CR.T2Y

Mapcode Global: WHCFT.5MZP

Entry Name: Ashe Hall

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334529

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82589

Location: Ash, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE65

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Ash

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton-on-the-Hill St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Trusley

Listing Text

SK 23 SE PARISH OF ASH SUTTON LANE
4/1 (North lside)
Ashe Hall
2.9.52 II


House, now school. 1869 with later additions and alterations.
Red brick with stone dressings, quoins, plinth, continuous
first and second floor stringcourses at lintel levels and
continuous second floor sill stringcourse. Graduated slate
roofs with stone coped gables, each with pointed ridge finials
and side bays with eaves ball finials, also large brick ridge
stacks with multiple Jacobean style pots. Basically square in
plan with later additions of no interest. Two storeys plus
attics and five bays. Jacobean style. South elevation has
advanced gabled bays to either side of central section with
central shaped gable, below which is a two storey, semi-circular
stone bay window. This has plain sashes in ovolo moulded
surrounds and to either side, similar single plain sashes.
Beyond to either side the advanced bays each have a canted bay
window with similar plain sashes. Above similar windows in same
arrangement. Each bay is topped by a pierced balustrade, that
to centre with raised central section. Above, each gable has a
tripartite plain sash in ovolo moulded surround. To either side
of the central one are blue brick lozenge patterns with central
stone shields and above the side ones are pierced stonework
roundels. West elevation has hopper heads dated 1869. North
elevation has the main entrance with tetrastyle Tuscan portico,
each column and pilaster with extravagant rusticated bands near
the base. Above is a pierced stone balustrade with spiked ball
finials to piers. Moulded semi-circular headed doorcase below
with raised keystone, flanked by tall sashes. Interior has good
C19 plasterwork cornices, several marble fireplaces and a
substantial C18 style dogleg staircase with knobbed and
barleysugar twisted balusters.


Listing NGR: SK2610832520

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.