History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II Listed Building in Edale, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3687 / 53°22'7"N

Longitude: -1.8163 / 1°48'58"W

OS Eastings: 412322

OS Northings: 385769

OS Grid: SK123857

Mapcode National: GBR HYRH.L4

Mapcode Global: WHCCD.2LDC

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 24 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334535

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82513

Location: Edale, High Peak, Derbyshire, S33

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak

Civil Parish: Edale

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Edale Holy and Undivided Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Edale

Listing Text

SK 18 NW PARISH OF EDALE GRINDSBROOK MAIN STREET
3/53 (West Side)
Church of the Holy Trinity
GV II


Church. 1885-6, tower completed 1890, by William Dawes of Manchester. Coursed
squared rock-faced gritstone with gritstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roofs
with stone coped gables. Nave with south porch, chancel, south vestry and north
east tower with short stone broach spire. Early English style with pairs and
triplets of lancets to the nave and cusped lancets to the chancel. East window
of three stepped lancets within a super-arch, west window of two 2-light windows
with quatrefoils above and a cinquefoil in a circle above. Tower of three stages
with diagonal buttresses, the north east buttress incorporating a polygonal stair
turret. Paired lancet bell-openings. Spire with one tier of lucarnes with cross
finials. Base of north east buttress inscribed with date 1885. Bellcote on the
eastern gable of the nave. Paired chimneystack rising from the eaves at the south
east corner of the nave. Plain interior with substantil timber roofs. Stained
glass in the north easternmost window of the nave, 1905 by Sir Ninian Comper.
Above the south door, inside, are two benefaction boards dated 1831, from the old
church.


Listing NGR: SK1232285769

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.