History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dalbury Lees, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9053 / 52°54'19"N

Longitude: -1.6096 / 1°36'34"W

OS Eastings: 426354

OS Northings: 334282

OS Grid: SK263342

Mapcode National: GBR 5CK.V5L

Mapcode Global: WHCFT.77SJ

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 19 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334550

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82596

Location: Dalbury Lees, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE6

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Dalbury Lees

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Dalbury All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Trusley

Listing Text

SK 23 SE PARISH OF DALBURY LEES DALBURY
4/9 (South Side)
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
19.1.67
II*


Parish church. C13 with minor C18 alterations, restored 1844
and north aisle added. Ashlar and coursed squared sandstone
with sandstone dressings and plain tile roofs with stone copings
to east end of chancel and west end of nave. The nave also has
a bellcote turret to its west end. Nave with north aisle, lower
chancel, north vestry and south porch. West elevation of nave
has central 2-light window with trefoil headed lights and
pierced spandrels set in four-centred arched surround, with
diagonal buttresses to either side. Above, a square stone
bellcote with a central trefoil headed lancet to each side and
moulded stringcourse with central gargoyle to south and west
sides, topped by embattled parapets. North elevation has one
small lancet to west, and to east the 1844 aisle has two triple
lancet windows in flat headed chamfered surrounds to north and a
similar 2-light window to west. The aisle also has diagonal
buttresses to its northern corners and low ridgeback coped
parapets. To east, the chancel has a C19 lancet, and beyond is
the gabled north vestry with two adjoining lancets to north and
a blocked C13 chamfered lancet to east. The east window is one
large pointed window with tracery missing. South chancel
elevation has central chamfered pointed doorcase with studded
wooden door and to either side, a pair of adjoining lancets,
those to west are C13 but only the eastern lancet of the other
pair is original, the other was added in the C19 arid the stone
was cut back to form a flatheaded surrounds as in the nave
aisle windows. South nave elevation has C19 gabled brick porch
with stone coped gable and pointed doorcase. To east is a C19
chamfered lancet and beyond are four adjoining lancets of which
only the western two are original. To west of the porch is a
single C13 lancet. The inner door is also C13 with staff
moulded, pointed arch. Interior has 1844 two bay north arcade
with pointed, chamfered arches, a central polygonal pier with
moulded capital and plain responds to either end, also with
moulded capitals. Similar C13 pointed chancel arch on plain
responds. To west end of nave, two large rubble walls, either
side of the central window, support the bellcote above;. Between
the walls to east is a segmental, staff moulded arch and above
is a line of continuous dogtooth decoration. All roofs are C19,
and in the nave, extra C19 carving has been added to the sides
of the beams. To the west of the nave is a mid C17, ornately
carved stone font with mid C19 weighted cover of sumptuous
design. The nave also has a complete set of C19 box pews, an
early C20 cusped marble pulpit, a carved and painted coat of
arms on the south wall, and a superb, probably C12, stained
glass window of St Michael. The chancel has a flat headed niche
on the north wall and beyond, to east, is a deeply chamfered
doorcase through to the north vestry. The altar rails, choir
pews and the east window stained glass are all C19. There is
also a fine C18 mahogany organ to the north wall. Several
memorials in the chancel, the best of which is one of 1708 to
the Harris family, a marble oval plaque resting an angel head
corbel and topped by an urn finial. Also one of 1855 to Charles
Cotton with a Gothic aedicule.


Listing NGR: SK2635434282

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.