History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Hartshorne, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7841 / 52°47'2"N

Longitude: -1.5162 / 1°30'58"W

OS Eastings: 432730

OS Northings: 320835

OS Grid: SK327208

Mapcode National: GBR 6GK.FHP

Mapcode Global: WHCGF.P87Z

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 19 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1334593

English Heritage Legacy ID: 82841

Location: Hartshorne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE11

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Hartshorne

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Hartshorne St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Ticknall

Listing Text

PARISH OF HARTSHORNE CHURCH STREET
SK 32 SW
3/35
(South Side)
19-1-67
Church of St Peter
GV
II

Parish Church. C15 tower, nave 1835-6 by H Stevens of Derby,
mid-Victorian chancel and north aisle. Nave with west porch,
chancel, south vestry, north aisle and north west tower.
Sandstone ashlar, plain and machine tile roofs with moulded
coped gables with plain kneelers and remains of finials.
Chamfered plinth. The nave has to the west diagonal buttresses,
a gabled porch with moulded pointed arch, and a 3-light window
above with coarse C20 mullions. Moulded hoodmould. South
elevation of the nave of three bays divided by buttresses. Each
bay has a tall 2-light pointed window with Perp Style cast iron
tracery and geometric glazing. To the east a flat roofed vestry
with coped parapet, doorway with moulded surround and a 3-light
window of cusped lancets under a flat arch. Similar window to
east. Twin gabled east elevation has two 3-light windows with
sparse cusped tracery. The chancel has two heavy buttresses to
the east. Lavatory extension to east of the aisle not of
special interest. North elevation: The two east bays are a
later addition and have a 2-light Dec Style window and a cusped
lancet, flanked by gableted buttresses. To the right are two
2-light windows, with poor cusped tracery. The C15 north tower
has a diagonal buttress to the south west and an angle buttress
to the north west. Two stages divided by a stringcourse. To
the west a four-centred arched doorway and two cusped lancet
lights above. Small cusped rectangular window above again.
Circular clock face above, repeated on the north side. 2-light
bell openings with cusped lights under almost triangular heads
and set in deep concave surrounds. Interior: Two bay nave and
two bay chancel north arcades with a quatrefoil and octagonal
pier and double chamfered arches. West gallery on two iron
columns. Plain tapering octagonal font, probably C14. Monument
to Humphrey Dethick +1599 and wife. Recumbent alabaster
effigies. On the tomb chest six children standing in two
panels, each with a triple arch. Other fittings mostly C20.

Listing NGR: SK3273020835

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.